plinking observation on velocity

kcub

Yesterday I shot some cans with my 45 Colt Uberti 1860 Henry. It made them jump. A little.

Then when it was time to clean up I pulled out my Daewoo K2 and blasted the cans up over the top of the berm.

I've observed with other calibers that velocity is the key to destroying and/or really making them fly. This may or may not be a good thing depending on how many cans you have and how much shooting you want to do.

Anyway, 223 is my cleanup caliber for now.

I recall 357 and 44 make the cans move a lot too. I don't recall whether they make them jump as much as 223. Something to figure out next time.

You likely were shooting Cowboy level loads in your Uberti, not full standard loads. I have both a Uberti 1866 Carbine and Uberti 1873 Rifle in 45 Colt that I handload for and with standard 255grn loads (14,000psi max), I assure you, I can make cans dance.

The secret to making a can dance is hitting in front of it, so the dirt pushes it along. Faster rounds just zip right through it.

The secret to making a can dance is hitting in front of it, so the dirt pushes it along. Faster rounds just zip right through it.

I agree with the above statement, I'll add if you just nick the can at the top or bottom it will show more movement.

I've shot bowling pins with my AR, good solid hits and at best they may wobble a little. Shoot the same pins with my 45Colt loads of a 270 gr large flat point moving 1100 fps, hit the pins basically anywhere other then a grazing hit and they fly off the table with authority.

So velocity is not always the best choice.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

I had a TC 223 Super 14 back in the 80's. My Dad set up a soda can about 25yds away. He laughed after 3 shots because it appeared I had not hit the can!:eek: That is until he went and picked it up only to find 3 closely spaced entry and 3 exit holes in the center of the can. I was surprised that that can didn't fly also!!! If I remember they were 55gr Rem sp's I was shooting.

Velocity isn't everything but it counts with cans. I like to destroy wooden pallets with 45-70. I want to try my 50-95 in that role also.

I think maybe bullet design might have something to do with it too. When I shoot at cans and debris with my 357 magnum rifle shooting RNFP cast bullets they really jump!

Maybe there's a magic velocity/bullet design window of downrange effect?

Same thing with steel silhouettes. Sometimes a heavier bullet traveling more slowly will take down the rams where a 223 definitely will not. I've read theories of "dwell time" on silhouettes, where, in comparing softer cast bullets to more brittle cast bullets from the same mould, the softer bullets seem to be more effective.

Last edited:
Back