Pleasure Reading

Futo Inu

I've read Grisham books and others on occasion, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one who actually prefers to fall asleep reading Lyman's 47th?

Actually, I go back and forth quite a bit from the excellent Sierra 50th year edition rifle manual to the Hornady two-volume set, which has one book that is nothing but drop tables. I Like the Hornady best for reading to sleep because it's actually hardbound, and doesn't suffer so badly as the 3-ring binder Sierra book does when I nod off an the books go akimbo.

My copy of Hatcher's Notebook and The Book of the Springfield have deeply creased and almost broken spines from having spent so much time flat open on my chest with drool decorating the cover. (TMI? Probably... :) )

Barnes' Cartridges of the World is still barely a viably readable tome, but you have to do without the covers, or introduction, or Table of Contents, or the last few pages in the back depicting old European cartridges. I've often wondered if that was why the last few pages were of something so esoteric, to preserve the useful data in the middle, as I slough off the outer shell pages one by one, like an onion.

I'm looking at getting The Art of the Rifle, but am concerned with how hard I am on books vs the pricetag! Fortunately, got A Rifleman Went to War from a friend and read it and actually returned it in relatively sound condition. (whew!)

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Not me. I like to fall asleep reading books about theoretical physics. I haven't been able to find a more obscure yet interesting topic that holds my interest despite its complete irrelevence.

Beginners should try either of Stephen Hawkings popular books, written mostly for the layman audience.

Then move up to John Gribbin and Michio Kaku.

On other topics, I've read or Book-on-taped the following since the last time we did a "good book" thread:

John Douglas's: Journey into Darkness, Obsession, and Anatomy of Motive. I liked the last one the best.

William Shatner's Get a Life. (No, I am not a trekkie..if you are or aren't I suggest the book on tape version of this one, Shatner is hilarious.

Bill Bonano's Bound by Honor. If you are into Italian Organized Crime or interested in the Kennedy Assassination, you should read this book.

Thomas Harris's Red Dragon. This book was okay, but it is billed as a pre-cursor to Silence of the Lambs featuring Hannibal Lecter and it contains only one scene with that character, as it takes place after he is already imprisoned and before "Silence". The scene is nothing more than an interview, very reminiscent of scenes from the movie.

and a book called "Apollyon" by some guy I don't remember. This book was goofy, if you are a real die-hard Bible Thumper who thinks the world is going to end soon and believes in the literal interpretation of the Bible, this book is probably for you.

Over the next few months, I'm planning on reading the following:

How Best to serve your Government's Agendas as a Law Enforcement Officer

How to Harrass Citizens but Remain Inside the Letter of the Law

and,

That's Crap: Arguments to use While Defending you and your Fellow LEOs against Unwarranted Generalizations

( ;) sorry, I couldn't resist.. if anyone doesn't get it, please see the "Leave of Absence" thread in the General forum... ;))

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited July 28, 1999).]

Try "Citizen Soldiers" and "D-Day" by Stephen Ambrose. These are great books about WWII. They are easy to read and well researched.

Also, for a Civil War fan, try "Killer Angels", "Last Full Measure", and "Gods and Generals".

Rob,
Those last four books, you mistakenly typed you were going to read them. Didn't you mean write them?

(hee, hee, hee, I'm already in my ankle-length helmet! Thrrrrp! :D )

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited July 28, 1999).]

Stephen Ambrose is one of the most eloquent historians of all time. I recently listened to the unabridged audiobook of Uncommon Courage: Meriwether Lewis...? don't remember the subtitle, and it's great! I learned more about this country and the Corps of Discovery than I had ever known.

Rob: Harris' Red Dragon was superb to me for its dwelving into the mind of Jame Gumb, and explaining his actions. The surprise ending was great, and should be read by any gunowner! Michael Mann's cheesey Manhunter was an attempt to portray it on film, but came off as Crime Story meets Miami Vice. Entertaining enough for TV, but not a really good movie.

I've read some good books about the Rhodesian War and othe Africana. I think that I've sold most of my stuff (anybody that likes similar stuff e-mail me; I think that I have some left also links).

I liked Stephen Hunter's novels. Also Tony Hillerman's stuff (I've known a couple of Navajos personally and can picture the country and people quite well).

Freddy Forsyth. Pretty good stuff for a Pommie. Have not yet read "The Biafran Affair."

Mea culpa. Jeff Cooper's stuff. Want some, email me.

Peter Capstick. He's a hoot. A boy that never grew up. Can't beat that.

Milagro Beanfield War. Northern New Mexico culture (my highschool years) captured almost as good as I could explain it.

Old SOF mags about killing comumnist terrs in Africa. Little girls are made of x and this stuff (for better or worse) are what little boys are made of.

I like A Textbook of Automatic Pistols by some british officer, well out of print. It covers the earliest models up to the thirties...Surprise! nothing new after that, really... Everything was pretty much invented by 1900! Jerry Kuhnhausen on the Colt 45 Automatic Pistol is also informative... The Hunting Rifle, by Jack O'Connor is good... so many choices, so little time...

------------------
Yankee Doodle

Rob,

Apollyon is only #6 (I think) in a series, and if you haven't read the first group, it seems to lose some of the impact. But yes, I must agree, that unless you are a "thumper" (odd, I always thought a thumper was something used to call sandworms ...) you will find it to be only mildly entertaining.

1. Anything by Tom Clancy. Not stuff with his name on it but actually written by him.
2. The Alienest, and Angel of Darknes by Caleb Carr, a cross between Sherlock Holmes and John Douglas. Set in turn of the century New York.
3. I'll agree with Rob, Mindhunter, and all of the other John Douglas books are excellent.
4. I'll also second Gods and Generals, and Killer Angels.
5. If you like Sci-Fi, Enders Game by Orson Scott Card, and the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons.
6. Alternative history, Guns of the South, by Harry Turtledove, South Africans travel back in time and arm the Confederacy with the AK-47.
There are plenty of others, I work at a bookstore part time and read a lot. But thats all I can think of for now.

I'm currently reading "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond. It's a pretty interesting look the factors that create societies and civilizations, and why some are able to dominate others. Really good if you like world history and want to know how we got where we are.
I always keep a collection of Hemingway short stories in my hunt bag. IMO he's best when read outside, under the sky.
"Stalk and Kill" by Adrian Gilbert, is a pretty good look at the art and history of the sniper.
"Texas Tales Your Teacher Never Told You" by Charlie Eckhardt is Excellent!!!!! Especially if your a Texan or if you're interested Texas History. My state has quite a colorful past.

------------------
"I am convinced that we can do to guns what we've done to drugs: create a multi-billion dollar underground market over which we have absolutely no control."

George L. Roman

"The U.S. Constitution may be flawed, but it's a whole lot better than what we have now."

"If we can put a man on the moon, why can't we put Clinton there?"

-Anonymous

I've got to jump in here and second Pritchard about Steven Hunter. "Point of Impact" is the BEST gun oriented novel I've ever read! Hey guys thanks for the ideas, I'm on my way to the local used book store tomorrow...

[This message has been edited by Gino (edited July 29, 1999).]

"About Face" by Col David Hackworth is one of the best books I've ever read. Also like John Sandford's "Prey" novels. If you like comics pick up some Frank Miller and Garth Ennis. Later, Byerly.

Hey, doesn't anyone here have any kind words for John Ross's "Unintended Consequences"? I found it quite riviting, aside from the implausibly easy ending. OLD gun magazines, from the mid 60's, also make good reading, although it's a pain to realize what I could have bought mail order as a child, and never realized.

Mr. Bellmore, you don't want to get near my 1940s issues of The American Rifleman, when it comes to prices...

Yeah, Unintended Consequences is great. I've read Point of Impact a couple of times, and I don't recall any egregious errors.

I just finished the expanded version of Keith's autobiography. I'd call it a "must read" sort of thing.

The concepts of "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged" were interesting as all getout, but Ayn Rand never used just one word where six would do her as well...A Reader's Digest version of the latter would probably sell...

And if you want something really different from an outdoors writer, I recommend Robert Ruark's "Grenadine Etching". If you can find it, just buy it; don't argue.

Later, Art

Back