Pleased as can be

Pthfndr

May be no big deal, but I'm excited. Recently started shooting my Enfield No1 mk3. All original parts. This weekend I shot a 20 round group at an SR1 at 100 yards, prone off a sandbag front rest. 5x, 10/10, 5-9, using Federal Classic 150gr SP. I figured this rifle would be fun plinker, but it has turned out to be a very accurate shooter.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>but it has turned out to be a very accurate shooter. [/quote]

Aaaaaa but is it the rifle or the operator? :D

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Pathfinder,
There is just something special about those Enfield No 1 Mk IIIs. I have been shooting WWI and WWII era rifles the past few years and learning their history. That SMLE of yours is probably my favorite. For some reason, while they have better sights, the No 4s don't feel as good. They don't look as cool either. That bolt throw is pretty sweet, too.

You are fortunate yours shoots well. Many had very loose barrel tolerances. Imagine a .311 bullet in a .318" barrel. Hopeless.

On reflection, I think part of what I like about those No I Mk IIIs are the memories of the photos from Afghanistan early on in their war with the Soviets. The pathans walking around the mountains in sandals, homespun garments, turbans, and carrying SMLEs and curved knives. Fighting for their homeland against the invader.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Art Eatman:
Ahhhh, you guys with all that modern stuff. Just wait till I get my Krag all tuned up![/quote]

Ohhhhh, Art will your modern Krag. Just wait till I get an accruate load for my Sharps. ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schmit:
Ohhhhh, Art will your modern Krag. Just wait till I get an accruate load for my Sharps. ;)[/quote]

I've got this old .58 Caliber Springifeld :D :D :D

(ok ok who is going to have the Brown Bess musket?)

------------------
Carlyle Hebert

I had an Enfield until recently. I gave it to someone who did me huge favor. I knew it was someone who would know the weapon well and put it to good use.

As for Enfield accuracy, the Brits had been using lightly modified Enfields as sniper rifles for decades.

Back