Please try to keep THIS Mary McFate thread on topic.

MeekAndMild

OK, here is the scenario. A far left magazine, Mother Jones, leaked the allegation that Mary McFate, a "top activist" was a "spy" for the NRA. Is this believable? If she was gathering information for the NRA is it illegal? Is it unethical? MSNBC Link USA Today Link Mother Jones Link

The USA Today article said
But as for any secrets she might have been privy to, the gun-control groups said they have little to hide, since they put their message and information about their budgets on the Web.
So if they have nothing to hide, why would they be upset to find an NRA informant in their group? What other information could they would fear to come to public attention? Are these organizations engaging in illegal activities?

For those who want to look this up on Google and who run Finjan you'll notice that for a search using the terms "NRA spy" six sites on the first search page are harboring malware programming. The sites are time.com, cbsnews.com, suntimes.com, nwsource.com, mercurynews.com and denverpost.com. I've never seen such a high threat level on any previous search I've made, nor does Finjan normally flag all these sites. For those who answered that her alleged activities were illegal or unethical, what do you think about far left liberal newspapers who engage in web malware/spyware usage?

I will bite. I see nothing illegal, immoral or unethical about what she did. The groups that she infiltrated had open meetings and were planning no illegal activities and they siad themselves they had nothing to hide.

Case closed.

I doubt that it is unlawful. She wasn't doing any breaking and entering or wiretapping was she?

They should have kept the news to themselves. Even if the NRA was not involved in any kind of "spying", I believe this episode will result many new members for the NRA - you know, the folks who have demanded that the NRA "DO SOMETHING" before they will join or renew.

John

It's not like she was stealing even "intellectual property", as I've never considered anything about those organizations to be intellectual.

I will bite. I see nothing illegal, immoral or unethical about what she did. The groups that she infiltrated had open meetings and were planning no illegal activities and they siad themselves they had nothing to hide.

I see nothing illegal or immoral about it, too.. but it is clearly unethical.

I have already commented on whether I thought it was an ethical thing to do in another thread. I think this comment sums it up pretty good:

"I feel flattered that the NRA would feel that they would have to infiltrate Ceasefire of PA. Obviously, they're hearing our footsteps," said Phil Goldsmith, the group's president. "Frankly, I think it's a waste of their money. We don't deal in state secrets."

Maybe the NRA has too much money?:confused:

Last edited:
Back