Please suggest a low-magnification scope for 10//2 and Mini14

cornered rat

I would like to find a low-magnification, large pupil scope for my carbines. The idea is not so much to increase accuracy as merely being able to see what I am aiming at. A 2x32 or so would be great...but I can't find any. The only non-zoom scopes I found were 4x15 for airguns. Only 2x scope I found were for handguns.

Any suggestions.

Also...the stock sights on the cheapie 10/22 are barely passable...does nyone make a tang aperture sight for it?

have you considered a red dot sight like the aimpoint or tasco? I put a aimpoint on my 10/22 and have been happy with it. I haven't tried it in this cold weather yet but the battery seems to last quite well. I also used this same aimpoint on a 20 gauge ithaca when my wife was having trouble starting to shoot clay birds. Her success went up immediately.

Rat- Are you following me? I've been trying to outfit my Mini-30 and it seems like I no sooner solve my problem when you come along and ask about the same thing. Sheesh, I'm gonna have to check my 6 more often! :)

Ok, as for the scope. Like you I wanted low magnification. The only thing I could come up with was a Bushnell 1.5X4.5. The objective is only 21mm. I've only been to the range with it once and it seemed to work just fine. I am a little conserned about the small lens in low light conditions, only time will tell. I got mine from Midway. Price is $51.99. There just ain't much out there in low power rifle scopes.

Cheaper than dirt sells a Williams replacement peep sight set for the 10/22. The set comes with a new front sight as you have to replace it too. Price is $34.97

I just put the Williams sight on my Mini-30. While I would have prefered nice click adjustments, it is a major improvement over that fold down factory junk.
Midway is now listing see-thru Weaver rings to fit Ruger intregal bases. This is a new item and Midway expects to have them in stock by Feb.6. I like the idea of having both iron sights and scope avalible on the mini. I've already got a set back ordered.

[This message has been edited by Grayfox (edited 01-31-99).]

What tool are required to install that peep sight? Does it have choice of apertures?

Also, does anyone make a _tang_ sight (longer sight radius but more fragile, require tapping the stock?) for 10/22

I can't say for sure what tools you'll need to change the sight on a 10/22. An educated guess would be hammer,punch, small screwdrivers and possibly a small allen wrench. You shouldn't need any special tools.

Williams does make several different size apertures. You'll proably have to get that from Williams, maybe Brownells.

I believe Williams offers several variations of sight for the Mini 14/30.

The one I bought from Brownell's is an excellent micrometer peep sight that is made from machined steel. It replaced the existing rear sight and installed easily with an allen wrench.

The Brownell's technical folks recommended the sight and it does work great. I think it's handier than a scope on this particular rifle. It was expensive though, around $100, but a very good sight nevertheless.

Good Shooting,

Kurt

cornered rat,

Cabela's sells an aperture (peep) sight for the 10/22 that comes with an HK-style hooded front sight. Judging by the foto, it looks like the rear bolts onto the receiver using the scope mount holes. (The bottom of the sight looks to be too shallow for barrel mounting.) The description says the sights are aluminum but there is a type of finish option that says either blue or stainless steel. I think they meant stainless steel-like. They run for $30. Doesn't say what the aperture size is. Ask for there Shooting Catalog.

- Ron V.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hksigwalther (edited 01-31-99).]

[This message has been edited by hksigwalther (edited 02-02-99).]

Kurt,
Could you give me some more info on that sight. I called the folks at Brownell's but they couldn't find it in the catalog. What brand and model number/name is it? When did you buy it? Are you sure you got it from Brownell's? While the William's sight is vastly superior to the factory one, I'd like to have even better if I can find it.

Back