Please suggest a Gunsmithing Screwdriver Set.

Faster Blaster

Can anyone suggest a decent quality (but not too expensive) gunsmithing screwdriver set. If you have an online source to buy it, that would also be helpful.

ruger SA screwdriver set

Just last mo. I decided to research the availability of sets for my SA's(new model). Brownells had 'em for $33 set of 3....seemed really extravagent for such a mundane tool. Does anyone have recommendation for a set that would serve both my Blackhawk and Kel-tec-32?

I've got a very small set sold by Lyman. It's called their Compact Driver Kit, and it comes with a short standard driver and a very handy reversible ratchet ball driver- just the ticket for rifle stock butt-spacer screws with 3" of thread. Both drivers take interchangeable magnetic tips. It was not expensive, and is worth more than I paid.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/tools.htm

'coach

I have been buying screwdrivers since 1970. The best I have ever seen for guns and other machinery are the Brownells sets.

I have the Chapman 8900 kit, the more complete one with interchangeable standard, Philips, and hex heads, with the screwdriver handle, removable shaft, and ratchet handle.
They have extensive optional heads. Around $30 at Brownells.

Faster Blaster, A gunsmith's creed is like that of a Medical Doctor's. DON'T CAUSE DAMAGE WHILE YOU ARE MAKING YOUR MONEY Get a good set and file or grind them to fit and when you need more get more. If the blade of the screwdriver does not fit the head of the screw problems will show up.

I like the bits that you can put in any driver because they can matched to the screw head at a small cost of my time. Brownells sells a bunch of them but you can pick them up at the hardware store as well.

another vote for Chapman, they advertise that the screwdriver bit will break before the screw will.. (ever try to get out a stripped or broken screw???)

Back