Please recommend a good AR-15 bolt disassembly tool

mellow_c

I want to buy one of these to make checking head spacing easier. In my experience removing the tension or roll pin that holds the ejector and spring in place on an AR-15 bolt is a pain even with some rigging and an extra set of hands.

I've found a lot of tools online that all appear to do the same thing, depress the plunger and hold the bolt. But I saw a review on one of them that specifically said the bolt would twist inside the tool, making it difficult to hammer out the pin, while also miss-aligning the pin with the hole in the tool that the pin is meant to fall in to.

This tool, claims to hold the bolt securely, and all the reviewers say it does, but no one says how.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-par...tools/sinclair-ar-15-bolt-vise-prod34719.aspx

But by the looks of it, there is a slot, or channel, or grove, or whatever, that runs down the middle of the tool. Would that be for one of the bolt lugs to sit in to keep the bolt from twisting in the tool?

I'd really like a tool like this that will keep the bolt from twisting so I can easily remove the ejector.

I just checked the web site of the company that makes that tool I just linked to in the post above, and I saw that they had a contact us section that allowed me to send them an email question.

I asked them this...

Hello,

I'm looking to buy an AR-15 bolt disassembly tool

I've found a lot of tools online that all appear to do the same thing, depress the plunger and hold the bolt. But I saw a review on one of them that specifically said the bolt would twist inside the tool, making it difficult to hammer out the pin, while also miss-aligning the pin with the hole in the tool that the pin is meant to fall in to.

This Sinclair tool, claims to hold the bolt securely, and all the reviewers say it does, but no one says how.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-part...prod34719.aspx

But by the looks of it, there is a slot, or channel, or grove, or whatever, that runs down the middle of the tool. Would that be for one of the bolt lugs to sit in to keep the bolt from twisting in the tool?

If not, is there a specific way that this tool "holds the bolt securely" to keep it from twisting while hammering out the ejector retaining pin?

Thank you very much for your time.

Hopefully the answer is "Yes!" :D I'll post an update once I hear from them. Until then, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks again folks.

Sorry, I've never used a tool made specifically for that job. Hammer, punches, bench block and vise do it all.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sorry, I've never used a tool made specifically for that job. Hammer, punches, bench block and vise do it all.

+1. BTW, do you have a drill press vise handy? Line the jaws with soft pine wood and clamp down on the bolt. I haven't used it on an AR bolt as I can usually get that easy enough without it, but I've used it punching other more stubborn pins or spring tension items that could fly and it works like a charm.

I really ought to get a bench block. . .

I've run in to some pretty stubborn ejector retaining pins on ar bolts in the past. This tool or a bench block would really help. And a bench block has more then one use and costs a bit less so maybe that's a better bet. I'll look in to them a bit more.

there is a slot, or channel, or grove, or whatever, that runs down the middle of the tool. Would that be for one of the bolt lugs to sit in to keep the bolt from twisting in the tool?
LOL! No, that is for the bolt body and gas ring area of the bolt. The bolt head is held by the two prongs and the screw pushes the ejector down so you can drive out the retaining pin. Come to think of it, that tool and a couple of small punches are about the only tools you need to completely disassemble an AR bolt. Oh, and an Allen wrench.

Scorch,

The more I look at it the more I have no idea what your talking about. lol.

I'm looking at the tool, and yeah, there are two prongs that the bolt lugs sit in front of and then the screw thing turns toward the bolt face to compress the ejector, while the prongs support the bolt by being behind the lugs to keep it in place, but then there is a circular hole where the ejector pin would be punched out (basically a recess so that the pin has a place to go, otherwise it would just run in to the tool and could not come out) and then there is a somewhat shallow and long cut out that runs down the center of the tool that also intersects with that small hole, and that grove or channel looks to me like it might allow one of the bolts lugs to fit inside it so that it will basically lock the bolt in place to keep it from TWISTING inside the tool when you start to hammer on the roll pin that holds in the ejector.

Am I wrong?

I hope not, because if that's how it works, it looks good to me, and it looks like it would really work great.

I just like to know these things before I buy...

This would be so much easier in person, :D

Sooooooo, I bought it.

After looking it over reeeeeally closly, I think it's exactly what I hope it is.

So we'll see :D

I have a Sinclair bolt tool and it works great.
I have seen other brands,likely they are just fine,too.

You clamp the tool in a vise. There is a "U" shaped notch that fits around the bolt body just behind the locking lugs.
When the bolt is positioned in that notch,a screw of approx. 3/8 dia is co-axial with the bolt face.
This screw is faced square and turned down to fit within the bolt face.
It serves as a clamping screw to hold the locking lugs against that "U" notch.

At the same time,it bears on the ejector,forcing it back into the bolt face and trapping it there. No flying parts!!

Bolt held so,its easy to tap the extractor pin out.

Good tool,does the job.

I suggest buy or make a "rollpin starter punch" They make life easier.Its a punch with a shallow blind clearance hole in the tip for the roll pin at hand.
It simply holds the pin square and straight as you get it started.

I have found drilling the hole in the tip of a long (2 1/2 to 3 in) 1/4- 20 socket head cap screw or bolt works great. You tap on the head.

Last edited:
For tough to remove pins, spray some PB Blaster (rusted screw/bolt spray) onto the pin junction and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Then tap away on the pin. Helps a lot for me.

HiBC,

Yup! It sure does!

I got the tool (the one in my first post of this thread) in the mail the other day and it's everything I dreamed it would be:D

Seriously, this is the best tool I could imagine for ar15 bolt disassembly. The grove in the middle of the tool does indeed allow one of the bolt lugs to sit inside, easily holding the bolt in place. I can not imagine an easier to use or more effective tool.

I used it to take out the ejector on two bolts to check for head spacing the day the tool arrived. Reassembly is just as easy with this tool.

All you need are an appropriately sized starter punch and roll pin punch and your all set.

I'm very excited to own this thing. Having the right tools for the job makes everything so much easier!

If memory serves correctly, the gauges Uncle Sam gave us to use had a relief cut so there was no need to remove the ejector to check headspace.

You're gauges aren't like that???

Ideally, a headspace gauge for an M16/AR-15 will have a cutout for the ejector, but headspace can be checked anyway simply by slipping the gauge under the extractor, then guiding it into the chamber to make sure it doesn't damage the chamber or vice versa.

Jim

Back