• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Please improve your pictures posting method on TFL

I would be glad if TFL would allow high res Pictures to post like does Cast Boolits Forum.
It is very difficult to post Pictures on The Firing Line. They should be able copied&paste and inserted in the post rather as an Attachement.

I wished TFL would be on par with other Forums on this subject. Posting Pictures easily is critical for These Kind of Forums.

The CastBoolits forum is a vBulletin system just like TFL. Please explain how you can copy an image from your computer and paste it in a post at that forum. If you mean you can copy and paste a link to an image from another site, that is a different matter. You can do that here just as easily.

We have over 79 thousand attachments here at TFL, so apparently it isn't overly difficult to use that method. An image has to be hosted somewhere on the internet, whether a member chooses to upload their image to a hosting site or upload it here doesn't change that requirement.

I mean it is difficult for me.

There is an size restriction for Pictures on TFL. I have to lower the Resolution to about 0.3 MB in order to be able to post.

If one Uploads the Picture should be inline the post and not as an attachment. I can not find anywhere the Pictures are automatically inline of the post.

As Mal, said, an image has to be hosted somewhere on the internet -- it doesn't matter whether you upload it here as an attachment or upload it to a hosting site like Photobucket.

All you have to do to post the image inline is to copy its url, then click on the
insertimage.gif
icon at the top of the text box on the "Reply to Thread" page. A box will appear, asking you for the url of your image. Copy the url there and click OK. The image will be inserted in your text.

To use TFL's attachment function to do this, first upload the photo. Its filename will appear in the attachment box. Right click on the filename to bring up the context menu, then click "Copy link location." You've now copied its url, which you can paste into the box I described above. That's all there is to it.

The size limit on posted images is there for a couple of reasons; one is to limit the amount of TFL's bandwidth they use. A second reason is that it's basically a courtesy to all members, some of whom have slower internet connections, and few of whom enjoy having to scroll in order to view an image that takes up several screens. As to "high resolution" images, there's really no such thing on a computer screen, because the resolution of the image is always limited by the resolution of the screen. Pixels are pixels, so on a screen, more pixels only result in larger images. If you want to show details, crop the image to include just the details you want to show.

There is an size restriction for Pictures on TFL. I have to lower the Resolution to about 0.3 MB in order to be able to post.

I've had this problem in the past but found around it.

If you have a Windows computer then download Irfanview; a free photo editing program.

With this you can resize the document either by pixels or file-size. You can adjust compression too. I find a picture of 800 x 600 gives good detail in the post and meets file-size limits.

HTH

Back