Please ID these rifles (Boko Harum).

hickey

Inactive
This photo of Boko Harum fighters (AP/taken in the last year) shows a rifle that appears to be of a uniform issue since others are carrying what looks like same model. It looks like a local manufacture of the flintlock principle.
Could these rifles actually be muzzle loaders, in this day of age?
If cartridge, any idea as to calibers.
Thank you.

Attachments

• z boko.JPG
    z boko.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 216
I hope someone knows... Because now I really want to know...

I wouldn't want to get hit with it... Musket ball or whatever

It could be anything. There has long been a little cottage industry in many African countries making rifles that to us would be down right primitive.

Those are actually Anti-Boko local militia members. They are carrying guns that their great-great-grand pappies used to hunt everything from rabbits to elephants. You're more likely to get hit by chunk of iron from an old truck than a molded lead ball.

My guess is that it's a homemade shotgun originally designed for bird hunting.

It also looks, from the shape of the hammer, as if it might be a caplock.

Thank you for the responses.

Yes, (thanks JC for clarification) they are locals banding together to protect themselves from the Boko Harum. From photos I've seen of Boko Harum members; all were fully armed with the latest assault rifles (not just AKs), RPGs and even some western manufactured assault type vehicles.
Does anyone notice this militia all seemed to be armed the same?
British leftovers? No, locals copying the old colonial standard seems the likely scenario.
On a side note, this militia than does not stand a chance against any serious move by Boko Harum (not good since Boko Harum looks awfully bad from reports).
Unusual (IMO) in that no one (agency/nation/whoever) has any interest in helping upgrade the arms of this militia, as most voices speak out against Boko Harum.

"...local hunters and vigilantes have taken up arms to defend themselves".

The guy in the photo seems to be a local wanting to defend himself against Boko Harum.
And what an old gun!

My guess is 12 gauge. An episode on vice news on YouTube from South Asia where a group of militia had very similar home made 12 gauge shotguns. I know they are very far away but they look almost the same.

Back