Please help--What is the SMALLEST .38?

MikeGoob

I want to get the smallest concealable 38 but I can't tell which that might be. The bodyguard? The scandium one? Something from Tarus?

Please help. Thanks guys

I trust some more knowledgeable wheelgun folks will come along shortly, but I'll report what I know about common guns.

I have a Ruger LCR & a S&W 642, and I had a Charter Undercover & a Taurus 85. The cylinder, barrel, & frame on all four are very close to the same. Just the geometry on getting 5 cartridges into a cylinder with modern metallurgy work out to about the same size for all these.

Ruger wins on conceal-abity due to how their grips attach. I have the bantam boot grip on mine & it makes the LCR most concealable. The Taurus 85 View & Non-view may have a smaller grip, but I haven't held one and I read that those grips are so small that they impact shootability - that would depend on your hand size. The Taurus 85 I had wore more standard sized grips and I didn't experiment with other options.

Last edited:
I have both a Taurus 85 and a S&W 36. The Smith is slightly smaller and lighter. Neither are a problem, weight-wise when I carry one or the other in a pocket holster (front, right-hand pants/cargo shorts pocket).

I suspect that what you really want is the smallest 38 that is good quality and reliable. In my opinion, the choices in this category are a J-frame Smith & Wesson or a Ruger LCR. Within those choices, my favorite is a no-lock Smith & Wesson model 642, but really any J-frame or LCR (or LCRx) is fine.

Some people will tell you that some other brands are just as good and maybe a little smaller or a bit cheaper. They may be right, but I'll still stick with a Smith or a Ruger.

If you really need something smaller than J-frame Smith, then I would suggest a .380 automatic. I am not a fan of the .380 round, but you can get a .380 that is a bit smaller and much thinner than any revolver. And if you need something that is very small and concealable, then you have to make hard compromises. I consider a .380 to be acceptable, but I'd certainly rather have a .38.

First thing that came to mind is the no-longer-produced Taurus View (or NON-View). At 10 oz, it's probably the lightest but has little to no grip. Still a good number of them on Gunbroker if you're brave.

On a more traditional scale, the S&W 340 or 360 PD Airlite is just over 11 oz.

I have a Smith 642. When I carried it I used a Belly band that seemed to work well. I just could not see just five shots and went after the smallest, lightest, 9MM I could find. At that time it was a GLOCK 17. '86-'87 or such.

After several guns and some years I found out that I owned among other guns ranging from NAA 5 shot 22 Mag up and thru SAA 45 Colt and 44 Mag.

A couple KelTecs one a 9mm and a 40 S&W. The 40 was a hop toad. But the 9mm shot like my Glock 17 only a lot smaller and way lighter.

From there I went to the P 32 then up to the P38T. All have 2 shot extended grips. I've done the Fluff and Buff to all i have. They are very reliable.

With the new technology coming down the Pike I'm building confidence in the 380. I trust there is going to be some break-throughs like there has been with the 9mm in the last 15 years. IE,,,, Buffalo Bore and Hydro Shocks, etc!

I've always appreciated, "Fast, cheap, and Easy"! So my eye is on a new Glock 42. Another Kel Tec P11, 9mm, or converting my KT P40 to 9mm.

My requirements these days.. I'm (mid 70's).

Less than 1#. less than 1" wide, Minimum 380 calibre, at least 10 shots,
No holsters required.

I've been using side clips forever, it seems, and clip them IWB with no belt required. I can carry several of these little guys for the size and weight of steel snubby or my G 29 and so many more shots.

Just a couple days ago I wanted to see what I could get by with with zero printing in a public place. Our Senior Center and yes other oldsters there pack as well but few if any know who. Nor care!!!

I managed two P32 KT/s. Two P38T/s. One P11.
all clipped IWB,,, Wranglers full cut with suspenders and Wrangler snap shirt tail out.

AND was not uncomfortable. That's a lot of shooting with very little weight.
Not to even mention what my wife was packing,,, IF she was??? YMMV:D

When we got home from lunch there I began to pull them off me and lay them out to put away. She took one look and ask me ,,,," You expecting some trouble today?"

Last edited:
I had a Ruger LCR but the DAO irritated me, so I got a Taurus 85 instead. It's a nice gun and I shoot it well. I think I'd like a snub that's a little lighter though.

I bought one of the Taurus Non-View revolvers last year purely out of curiosity,
and it is hands down the smallest and lightest five shot .38 Special on the market.

I was actually surprised how it groups at 7 yards, but would not consider it much more than a last ditch effort back up belly gun.
There is just no reasonable way to hang onto it.
I have to adjust my grip after each round fired even with my average size mitts.
It will consistently draw blood on the second cylinder full of standard velocity loads without a glove on my hand.

I have no doubt that it will work when you need it to but I don't believe that it is a good choice for a primary carry firearm.

Fogey mentioned his growing confidence in .380ACP and I'll admit that I can understand why.
Thinking along those lines, I recently had a chance to handle one of the Taurus M380 revolvers.
Smaller than any revolver that I've seen that throws a projectile that diameter.

Almost bought that one to satisfy my curiosity as well.... and I just may yet.

I want to get the smallest concealable 38 but I can't tell which that might be. The bodyguard? The scandium one? Something from Tarus?

Smallest -- probably Taurus' little "thalidomide gun", the View.

If you need to go smaller than the typical S&W 642 or Ruber LCR, you probably really want one of the micro .380s. An LCP or another of the Kel Tec clones.

As mentioned already, the S&W J-frames and Ruger LCR (and LCRx) are 'obvious' choices.
Right along with that, you'll find the (heavy) Ruger SP101.
And down a bit on the quality scale, there are the Charter 'Undercover' revolvers (J-frame size); and the Taurus offerings.

I own, have owned, or have spent a reasonable amount of time with the SP101 (various configurations), LCR, a Taurus, and some S&W J-frames (various configurations and "weight" brackets).

My personal preference is for the LCR.
While it feels a little bigger sometimes, it is much nicer to shoot than the J-frames, weighs notably less than the SP101, and isn't as hard on the hands as some of the 'exotic', light-weight J-frames.
Plus... With the LCR, I can actually hit a target at 25 yards. The J-frames with standard sights? Nope. Not a chance.

Hard to find much anything smaller (compact) than a S&W 642.

Nice thing is, it's completely pocket proof. Nothing to snag on, and it can be easily fired from inside a coat-pocket.

Y'wanna go derringer & small, go Cobra in .38.
Quality not near as good, but smaller.

Middle of the road in derringers would be ADC, good quality, and smaller & lighter than the Bond.
Denis

Back