Please Help Me With My Ignorance

RKimball

Inactive
I own a Stevens semi-auto rifle that is a bit different than the standard model 87. Stamped on the barrel is the following:
Stevens (then in two lines) J Stevens Arms Company Chicopee Falls, Mass.
U.S.A. (followed by) Model 76. Back near the breech on the left side is stamped Cal. 22 Long Rifle Smokeless Greased Only. The usual "gills" are not present, it has a serrated trigger face, and the stock is made of Black Walnut.
The receiver has two plug screws on the left side that may be for a side mount, they are about 3-inches apart, and appear to be #10-32. I would deeply appreciate if one of you knowledgeable types could help me to know more about this rifle. Thank you kindly:)

Stevens has been owned by Savage Arms since 1920. Your rifle was made as a inexpensive "working"gun .Marketed as the Springfield 87 ( Also owned by Savage Arms) from 1938 to 1948, it was reintroduced as the Stevens 87 in 1948 until 1976. Value is in the eye of the beholder, however one of my references list it as 90 in exc, 80 in very good, 70 in good. The receiver is tapped for a add on peep sight such as used on the bolt action 86, proable the Lyman 150. I don't think they were cataloged with a peep sight, but on that I could be wrong. At one time you could order just about any thing you wanted on a rifle. Best I can do, anyone else? Note, just found , the 87S came with a hooded front sight and peep rear. 1948 to 1953. Perhaps your 87 is an 87S?

Last edited:
Stevens Model 76

RJay,
Thank you for your prompt reply, however please note my rifle is not a model 87, it is clearly stamped Model 76.

Thanks Again :)

Sorry about that , the only thing that registered in my mind was the first sentence of your posting

Back