Please help me pick the best .357MAG revolver

SVTNate

I currently own an HK USP9f, owned a Glock before, but I've always been interested in revolvers. I would like to find a high quality, reliable, accurate revolver, preferably with a 4-5 inch barrel, for target and home defense use. As I understand it, Ruger and S&W are good picks. Anything I should know about either brand? I specifically want a nice, smooth trigger. Concealability is not a factor.

"Best" is a very subjective term. I like both the Ruger Security Sixes and the K-frame Smiths. Don't have any exp with the Colts. Hard to go wrong with a good 357.

Well, I just handled the S&W 686 with the 6 inch barrel. Nice gun, I'd like to handle one with the 4-inch barrel.

The guy in the shop told me that Smiths are forged, whereas Rugers are stamped steel? Is this true?

Same guy told me that the Smiths have smoother trigger pulls. If I remember correctly, the 686 holds 7 rounds of .357 Magnum? Not bad, not bad at all :)

S&W's are made of forged and milled steel, Ruger's are cast steel. Ruger has a slight edge in strength, mostly due to the mass of metal, and design features. If you shoot factory or reasonable reloads, there is no practical differencein strength.

Both will last several lifetimes.
Ruger costs less, has an enviable record on service and repair, and is tough as hell.

S&W can be tuned to a much higher level, and has much more avaliable in the way of grips, holsters, and accessories. S&W has a better reputation for accuracy, and a higher re-sale value. S&W has more "glamor" of ownership. Ruger is seen as a definate step down.

What you get is strictly a matter of personal preference. Handle both, and pick the one you like the best.

I have a S&W M 19 which is a K frame. I think that your criteria speak well of a heavier gun. I would look at the L frame or better yet an N frame if weight were not a big factor. It would make for a much more pleasant gun to shoot. If one had to carry it a lot I would prefer a smaller frame such as a L frame.

I find that even the K frame is unpleasant to shoot with maximum loads. I admit to not much experience with .357s so others may have better advice.

Jerry

I own a number of revolvers..........

which include a variety of S & W,s and Rugers. Both are really fine and this is not an attempt to "sell" you on either. Out of the box I have found S&W revolvers have a better, smoother, more sensitive trigger system. Rugers have been quite rough but, with time, they wear and become quite good. The end result is that both trigger systems are okay.

My latest purchase is a S & W 686P with a 4" barrel. This is a 7 shot .357 magnum and is outstanding. Because it will also take .38 spcl and +p ammo it really give you a lot of versatility. I sure urge you to take a look at it. Good shooting

Since you specifically want a good trigger, get a S&W 686. A friend of mine has one, got to shoot and handle it, VERY nice piece.

Rugers aren't bad by any stretch but if you care about the quality of the trigger it isn't the best answer (at least not without a heck of a good action job).

Now if you want the best trigger, and can live with the mark-up, get a Python.

The 3 classic full sized .357 revolvers are S&W, Colt and Ruger. You can't really go wrong with any of them. My full sized is a Colt Python, but only because I came upon a great deal (otherwise I would have a S&W 686). I particularly like the grip on the 686, and may have to pick one up anyway!

SVTNate,,
the S&W 686 is a 6-shot, the S&W 686Plus is 7-shot. the only thing that really sucks right now about S&W, is since you're from Kali like me, the ones that are approved by the DOJ are those models with the designation of "-6" . they have the hammer lock just above the cylinder latch release. unless you can find a private party sale, then you might be able to pick up the "-5" version, people have said that this is the beef up version. but maybe it's just me,... i just absolutely, definitely can NOT stomach those hammer lock, i feel that it just ruins the whole look of the gun.

Since you want a 4"-5" barrel and you want 'the best' I would suggest that you look for a 5" S&W mod 27. It will be a beautifully made .357 with a nice deep polished blue. It is built on the large N-frame so not concealable, but that is not a concern to you. I have this gun in an 8 3/8" barrel.

If you plan on toting it concealed at all, a 4" Model 686 would make an excellent choice for a general purpose revolver. If you want to get even more rugged, and weight and size are not an issue, get a Model 27 or Model 28 "Highway Patrolman". It's based on the N-Frame, and an extremely solid and strong revolver. They're accurate and beautiful to look at, especially the Model 27 with the polished blue finish.

I have a Model 28, it's the matte blue "economy" duty finish. They don't make .357s nicer and more solid than this. That gun would last you a lifetime with any kind of .357 load you care to feed it.

http://www.beigerocket.com/images/sw28.jpg

Lot's of good quality revolver's out there. Among them
are models made by Ruger, Colt, and Smith & Wesson. In most
case's the fan favorite will be a Smith; either in models 27, 28,
65, 66, 627, or 686 (+ or -). My favorite is the 686, six shot with
a 6" tube. Suprisingly, I didn't think I would care for the 6" 686;
prefering a 6" model 66 instead.:eek: But, after purchasing a
686-5 and seeing how accurate this "crown jewel" is; it has
become my all time favorite.:D And I've had Colt Python's and
Trooper MK-III's & V's, Ruger Security-Six'es, and a host of
other Smith N' Wesson's.

Update-someone just phoned me ranting about how good
the new line of Taurus .357's are; however, I can't address
that issue at this time cuz I have not tried them myself. I
think he has a model 608 Taurus; but I'm not absolutely
sure about that?

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Hey Bottom Gun, just what exactly did Ruger do to upset you so?
Almost all my revolvers are Rugers, although I own some of each make. I prefer my Rugers for durability & strength.

QUALITY: If they weren't some of the toughest around loading manuals wouldn't have sections titled "RUGER & T/C ONLY"!!!!

ACCURACY: I think any of the guns are plenty acurate, if you take the time to practice with them. Everyone has a different grip preference, that is more likely to affect accuracy than any difference in the guns themselves.

Smith makes a 357 performance center gun (586 L-comp, check out www.smith-wesson.com/sport/pc586.html) that has a great trigger. It has a three inch barrel though, not up to your specs, but that might be better for home defense (less barrel for bad guy to grab). It's a beautiful gun and , tho you said carry qualities werent important -- I cant imagine owning one of these and not making it an all purpose gun. (If I had an extra 700 bucks around my wife didnt know about it'd probably be the next gun i'd buy).

The Ruger GP141 is the best you can get. You can look at a GP-100 next to the smith and see the differences in strength. Triggers? My Ruger trigger is way better than my smith. Sure it took a little work to get it there but what else did I have to do with my time?

I was set on getting a smith until I did a little research. Check both out side to side. Shoot both if you can find some friends who have them. I read every article I could find on smith and Ruger, go to google.com and search the newsgroups for answers.

I am one picky buyer, I usually end up with a bad case of buyers remorse. I've never had the feeling I made the wrong choice with the Ruger.

Bob

Just to pick a nit with Jeff. My common carry revolver is a five inch 627PC (eight shot N frame .357). With a good set of grips it is easier to conceal than my 1911 pattern guns (I find the grip is the hard part to hide). And of course any N frame .357 will probably outlast the owner, as well as having lower felt recoil with hot loads. Although I am fond of my six in M27-2 and my four inch Python as well. ;)

Back