Please help me pick between these to spotting scopes.

NYCOP

I just need it to be clear up to maybe 200 yd 300 at the most, I want to set it on the bench and be able to see where my bullets are going on the target, most shots will be around a 100 yd. This is just for sighting in and target pratice. I was looking at a bushnell for $89.95 I think it was a 20 by 60 power.
You pay have to cut and paste these.
Yukon //www.opticstore.com/Yukon%2020-50X50.htm

Bushnell http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...belas/en/content/Pod/01/66/62/p016662ii01.jpg

The "Yukon" looks like one of those Russian scopes. Steer clear of the "straight through" designs like the Bushell.

I don't think you've searched enough but I can tell you that you will not be satisfied with the performance of the bargain basement spotting scopes.

Many years ago, a wise man told me "speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?".

You cannot cheat the system. There is no way to get the performance you want without spending at least a few dollars.

You will remember that when you junk the cheap scope you bought when you thought you were getting a good deal.

Try looking at Midway.

I too suggest you wait and purchase a decent spotting scope. Not owning myself yet, I've looked through quite a few at the range and what a difference $150 makes in purchase price. A decent scope that will permit comfortable viewing of .30 cal holes out to 300 yards will run you at least $400. I have my sights set on a Kowa. If you buy a good one now, you'll not be looking to upgrade in a few years. Speaking from experience on other "bargain" purchases......

Noban

I agree with the guys about your options for spotting scopes. To see holes on black bullseyes at 300 will require at least a $400 scope (and that's on a real good day). A way around it (but only if you're absolutely sure that your maximum distance will be 300yd) would be to dump that extra $100 into your rifle scope if you haven't bought it yet. A Burris Black Diamond in 6-24x, a Leupold in 8.5-25 could get you to 300yd in the black on a REAL good day (or any day if you shoot 1" ShootNSees on a white background).

Your biggest limitation besides the optical capabilities of the scope's lenses will be mirage. As an example of what you're facing, I have a Hermes 1 in 70mm w/ 20-45 zoom; I can make out holes to 300yd on a white background easily, but the holes in black targets are very, very tough when there's a fairly strong mirage (85F w/ barometric pressure of ~70). The scope retails for just over 6 bills. The Burris and the Leupold rifle scopes can pick up the 'white' holes, but mostly they miss the holes in the black unless there is NO mirage.

The first thing to do is to use targets without a black. I use the Birchwood Casey stick ons and white 24# printer paper. It's quite easy to see .22 holes at 200 yds with a 3-9 scope.

The Leu Sequoia 15-45X angle spotter I got seems adequate. Perhaps there are better deals in the $225 range.

I agree with everyone else here who advised you to wait and buy a better, more expensive scope. I had one of the Bushnell $89.00 scopes and used it for years. It did the job up to 200 yards but the optics were terrible. I upgraded to the Bushnell Spacemaster (there are different models) and for a little over $300.00, I couldn't be happier. Great optics. Go to this link at Sniper Country for an interesting comparison of some of the more popular spotting scopes:

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/SpottingScopes.asp

Go here for a good price on the model of Spacemaster reviewed in the article; it's the one I bought and can recommend, too.

http://www.natchezss.com/category.c...101&subgroup=133&CFID=590368&CFTOKEN=21783912

Back