Please help me identify my Mannlicher M95

Danubeboy

Inactive
Gentleman, I’m really surprised about the knowledge and all the information you share on this site about the Mannlicher M95 rifle. Also the volume of that information makes me a little confused, so please help me identify my rifle I just picked up at an antique store. My Grandpa was a Hungarian cadet in the Imperial and Royal Army (kaiserlich und königliche armee or k.u.k). When I was a little boy (very long time ago) he always talked about his long gun and his deployment to the Italian Alps. So this gun has more an emotional than a real value for me.
The serial number is 7178 D, and matching all parts of the gun. Also the gun has the original leaf sight; and sling swivels on either (front on the right and left on the stock) side.
High letter 'S' was stamped on the barrel shanks with number 17 next to it. Also BUDAPEST M95 stamped on it.
I found one more number ‘811’ craved in the wood under the rear sight.
Thank you for your time and help!

Attachments

• 20180610_095525.jpg
    20180610_095525.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 105
Sounds like you found a good arm. The name stamp on the receiver is the arsenal which made the arm in the first place. Since yours is marked ("S" on receiver) as 8x56R, it is likely a short or 'stutzen' type. Many were converted.

The website shown will probably give you better information AND will stay around for refreshing your memory as well.

The ammunition is currently made by Privi Partizan Unice (PPU). However, one must have an 'en bloc clip" or 'clip' in order for the firearm to act as a repeater. The 'clip' functions as part of the magazine. Without one, the rifle is a single shot. They are available, but not cheap.

Thank you Gentlemen for the wonderful info on the rifle question!

I already stared to clean my rifle and I found two small Hungarian coat of arms stamped on the barrel. Definitely a Hungarian rifle. :)

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 47
Back