Please help me find the perfect wheelgun.

Daedalus

I'm shopping for a wheel gun. But I cannot find one that combines all the features I want. Here are the features I desire, maybe you guys can help me out.

Caliber: .38/.357 mag
Barrel length: 2.5" to 3.0" Full Lug, Ported
Capacity: 6 to 7
Frame size: Something similar to taurus' "compact" size
Action: DA/SA
Finish: Matte Stainless
Hammer: Full (i.e. not bobbed)
Grips: No preference as long as they are comfy.
Sites: Front Fixed, Rear adjustable

The closest thing I have found to fit is the Taurus .41 mag snubby. The only problem is that its a .41 mag, and only holds 5.

Please help! :(

The same gun as the .41 Mag Taurus you found is available in a 7-shot .357 Mag version; it's the Model 617, I believe.

Additionally, if you want to shell out the bucks, several Performance Center guns from *&* over the years have met that description. Search the gun shows for the PC-13, K-comp, L-comp and others of their ilk, but be prepared to shell out 6-700 bucks...

Like the lady said, you just described the Taurus 617. I was also looking at a S&W 686-5, 2 1/2" barrel, 7 shot, yesterday. They wanted $499 in the Portland area. It seemed a bit larger and heavier than the Taurus.

Have fun shopping!

Is the 686+ to big? I've got one with a 3" full-lug barrel, 7-shot, round butt, frosted matte stainless, adjustable rear sight and pinned front ramp with red insert. It isn't ported, wouldn't have bought it if it was, I'd rather take the muzzle flip than the blast and noise. I put a Hogue "Bantam" grip on it which trimmed it down a tad in size, otherwise it's stock. -- Kernel

Thanks for the suggestions so far. But since when do the Taurus 617 and 817 come in matte stainless?

Kernel - I finally decided to educate myself and read the S&W agreement. It really seems silly, so I think I will avoid post-agreement S&Ws. Thanks for the suggestion though.

"Hear me now and believe me later...." (Hans and Franz)

Get the SW686 Plus and you will love it. Compare trigger pulls before you consider a Taurus.

Daedalus,

Plenty were made before The Agreement (like mine). Look around gunshows, websites, pawnshops, gun shops, etc. They're not that hard to find. Twice the gun as Taurus and far more likely to retain value. -- Kernel

Taurus makes a 357 like you want. You can even get it hammer-less or CIA (I think).

I was about to get one at the gun shop the other day (the hammer-less version).

John

Try this...

Caliber: .38/.357 mag
Barrel length: 2.5" to 3.0" Full Lug, Ported
Capacity: 6 to 7
Frame size: Something similar to taurus' "compact" size
Action: DA/SA
Finish: Matte Stainless
Hammer: Full (i.e. not bobbed)
Grips: No preference as long as they are comfy.
Sites: Front Fixed, Rear adjustable

Other than being ported (which I have never found to be all that effective anyway), the rear adjustable sights, and the difference in frame size, I would heartily recommend the Ruger GP-100 with a 3 inch barrel and compact grips.

I think porting's ability to reduce muzzle flip is just another gimmick, from a puny .38 to a .454 the difference is neglegable, and it forfits one's ability to shoot from a point position, and from inside a pocket.

Dealing with the frame size should not be an issue, if you are willing to spend a little on a good holster system. I can conceal a medium to large frame revolver in light summer clothing with some creativity.

The GP-100 is about the strongest, toughest revolver available. I have found mine to be very accurate with multiple loads, and a good ejector of spent cases (length of rod makes a big difference), stick to a 3" barrel if possible.

Realize that if you can't find the gun you wanted ported from the factory, you can always buy an unported gun and sent it to someone like Magnaport:

http://www.magnaport.com/hgun.html

I'm not big on ported guns myself, but if you are, don't limit yourself just to guns that were ported at the factory, because that will greatly limit your choices.

M1911

Why do you prefer matte? Just curious...

To tell you the truth, I do not like shiney things. But I really like stainless steel for its rust resistance. Even a glossy blue finish will not get my blood pumpin'. Also isn't a blued gun harder to keep rust free than a stainless one? I perfer to keep things simple so that there is less of a chance of me screwing things up.

I don't know. For some reason, a shiney stainless gun makes me want to buy a black Cadilac Escalade and put 22" bling-bling wheels on it. :barf:

Just to let you guys know, I am also looking at the Taurus 445 and 450 snubbies. They are .44 special and .45 long colt respectivly.

Thought I would still perfer a .38/.357 mag for the capacity/ammo price reasons (as I do not reload).

Different strokes etc.

Three of your criteria for the perfect wheelgun would each keep me from buying one. Stainless, ported, full lug.

Oh well

Sam

Daedalus, that is an easy one. Go to the Weigand Combat web site, and take your pick. Buy a complete gun, or create your own package. Weigand's guns are wicked, and I speak from experience. Sling Shot

Kernel - I finally decided to educate myself and read the S&W agreement. It really seems silly, so I think I will avoid post-agreement S&Ws. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thank you.

If the Taurus meets the rest of your criteria you might consider purchasing one and taking some 400 grit 3M wet and dry to it to dull the finish. Personally I'm worse than a crow about liking shiny things. But to each their own and I respect your taste.

perfect revolver

At that barrel length you're looking for a defense gun. Start looking for a good used Ruger Speed Six .357, with a 2-3/4" bbl, in stainless steel. Put in a good mainspring from Wolfe, Pachmeyer compact grips, and find a spurless hammer, or despur the stock hammer. Results, perfect!

no65646.jpg

Sorry about the glare.

Despite the negative conotations the general public has accepted the symbol it has positive meaning to me. In the ancient religions of Europe, more specifically the Kelts of Ireland, the pentagram symbolized "spirit redeemed from matter." Much as the Star of David symbolizes "on earth as in heaven."

Back