Please help me find a small steel safe for mounting inside a vehicle

Futo Inu

OK, I bought a new (to me) pickup a few months back. I'm now selling my old pickup, which has a small safe bolted down to the floorboard. I used it daily and loved it, but I'm letting it go with the truck because (1) the buyer really likes it, and (2) I want one that is a little bigger and sturdier, and that comes with more than one key. The key for the old one was one of those "coke machine" type keys, and it only came with one when I bought it, and I couldn't find anyone to make a copy of it for me - a real hazard when you're an absent-minded dope like me.

So, who makes the best vehicle safes I can bolt down securely? Any website links for me?

I'm looking at one myself. It is in GALLS LE catalog. It is an electric and key lock. Picture shows two std. keys with it. Sells for $79.00. The Dimensions are 3 1/2"H X 9"W X 12 1/2"D weight is 10.5 lbs

It is actually a spring loaded drawer that pops out of a box.Looks like it would mount great under a front seat.
WWW.Galls.com

I use the Amsec (American Security) one. It has a push button combination. The buttons are on top and in the dark I can open it in less than 2 seconds. They go for about $100.
No keys to fumble with or loose. I have several in the house also. Safe from kids and fast to open.

------------------
From my cold dead hands.

I have the Palmer Security Safe with the sliding drawer http://www.palmersecurity.com/.

It seems ideal for underseat application since it has the push buttons on the end and the drawer sides out. The safes with a hinged door require you to reach under for the pistol instead of the pistol comming out from under towards you.

It also has an optional mounting plate so one safe can go into several vehicles as needed. There is a handle on the end opposite the lock so it can be carried like a narrow metal briefcase. Handy for taking into hotel rooms etc.

Wow, I really like that R&D enterprises Handgun Box - no batteries, no keys, heavy duty hardware, and 4 choices of size. Thanks to all.

Me too! I glad you brought this up. The safe shown is what I was really looking for. Something heavy-duty, yet easy access. Thanks

------------------
To swallow and follow, whether old doctrine or new propaganda, is a weakness still dominating the human mind. (C.P.Gillman)

Also take a look at Mossberg's - see:
http://www.mossberg.com/safe.htm

A little pricey, but lower profile than most I've seen. One other plus - it's quite portable, and you can buy additional mounting plates. So, you can remove it from your vehicle, and bring it in the house for secure storage there as well.

Good luck. Regards from AZ

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited February 14, 2000).]

Could someone please help me? I'm either having massive technical problems, or these places have eliminated their websites. I am trying today to order the R&D Enterprises safe, but now I can't remember which link it is among those posted above. I'm assuming it's the
www.handgunsafe.com

and yes, I did remove the final "." from the link (eventually), but I still cannot get it to work. All I get is Cannot Find Server or similar. I've also searched the web for "R&D Enterprises" and for "gun safe box", etc. to no avail.

Also, the link above to
www.palmersecurity.com

is not working either (yes, I removed the ending period on that one too). So is this my computer or are these webpages gone? Does anyone know from where I can order the R&D Enterprises gun box? Thanks very much.

I like the Palmer cash drop box. They make one with a simplex lock for guns. The body and door is 3/16" steel.

Opps. I just visited their web and the newer cash drop box aren't like the ones I got for work. They're 12 ga steel now which is much thinner (understatement). What I picked up are more like their tube safe, but longer so as to take a 4-6" revolver. It appears that it's discontinued.

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited April 16, 2000).]

I like the multi-vaults which can be bought at www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

They make two sizes and both have touch pads that are easy to access quickly and can be bolted down under a bedframe or in a car. They also have an alarm that goes off if anyone tries to input the wrong combination so you can tell if any curious kids are afoot.

Back