Please help me decide

Northwest Cajun

Hi Guys,
I'm about to make my first revolver purchace, and have narrowed down the field between a Taurus 445 Stainless ,Compact (ported) 44 special and a Ruger SP101 in 357 magnum. I'm looking for an easier gun to hide than my full size Colt 1911 (Which I shoot about 2000 rounds a year). The price is about the same give or take $50.00
I know the 357 is flexable with 38,38+P and full house 357 loads but the 44 Special is,just "more" gun.
Can the.44 Russian round be safely fired in 44 special, if so, wouldn't that make it just as flexiable as the 357?
Which one would be more controlable with light weight bullets for self defence?(180"s for the 44 and 125"s for the 357)

Also, I can reload for both so that issue is taken care of.

Any replys would be greatly appreicated

Ruger easier to hide, Taurus milder to shoot with defense-grade loads.

BTW: It has been my experience (Charco Bulldog Pug/Rossi 720/*&* 296Ti) that 240gr loads are unfun at best and damaging at worst when fired from small-frame 5-shot .44's

Tamara, does that include the factory RNL 246 grn load at some 700 fps? I imagine that would be somewhat reduced in a ported snubby, which might make it more tolerable. Substitute SWC's for RNL's at the same speed, and you've really got something. That's why I want one.

Conversely, the 2 1/2 inch Model 19/66 isnt a whole lot bigger than the Taurus snubby, maybe a 1/2 inch of barrel, at about the same frame size, gives you an additional shot.

But those little Rugers are really built. Solid is an understatement, and they're smaller.

Very tough question. In the face of that I usually back tem yards and punt: I get 'em all. I don't have any of 'em, but i wish i had all three.

Geez I'm useless. I always say get them all.:rolleyes: ;)

H_R_G,

The problem with heavy bullet .44's in small snubbies is just one of recoil battering the gun more than recoil bothering you. I shot that Bulldog Pug to scrap with five 50 round boxes of PMC 240gr SWC's. My Rossi 720, a gun that formerly was tight and timed flawlessly, loosened up noticeably after one box of Atlanta Arms 246gr LRN. And the 296Ti? Can't shoot over 200gr in it, as heavier bullets could jump crimp and bind the gun.

And I shot a Smith 696 snubby to scrap with sixteen boxes of cowboy loads.

.44 special is a great cartridge. Takes a good gun to digest em tho. Preferably one with large frame and some heft to it.

Sam

I would keep it light( 5gr bullseye & Berry's180's) to practice and carry the hornady or corbon 180 loads for protection.

About the .44 russian being shot in a .44 special cylinder, this article www.taurususa.com/445story.html it says they can do it, I'm just wondering if anybody else does?
The stainless ported verson in the article would be the one I'd get.
Cajun

I'll add this...

Roomie had a Taurus 450 stainless ported snub for a brief period. Nice gun; he sold it to scrounge the cash for a .45 Colt Mountain Gun, but I'm sure he'd buy another one. I'd buy a 450. (The only reason I wouldn't buy a 445 is because I already have two .44 snubs, so I'd want a different flavor. ;) )

taurus450.jpg

BTW...

I might even consider shooting the 240gr PMC's in a Taurus 445. After all, they make the same dang gun in .41 Magnum! :eek:

No experience with the 44 you mentioned.

Plenty experience with sp101.
If keeping power up is your concern 357 beats out-of-box 44 spec. by a ways. IMHO the sp101 will digest anything a k-frame smith will. This can't be said about the 44 subbies you mentioned.

The only drawback most people have on the sp101 is a stiff DA trigger pull. I've gotten used to it.

Back