Please help me decide: GP100 SS 3" or 4"

nzed

Hello all,

Every once in awhile, I get the urge to acquire a new handgun. Well, I've got that urge again.

Definitely want a GP100, but can't decide on the 3" or 4" model.

Saw a 3" in a shop on the way home from work today. $390.00. No 4" in stock but could order one for about the same price. I already know that this shop is not the cheapest in the area, but he is local and if the price is not too out of line would like to help keep him in business.

Anyway, I need advice on the 3" or 4" model.

As I see it:

Pros:

3".........................................4"
better concealability.............adjustable sights
lighter in weight....................longer sight radius

Cons:

fixed sights............................not as concealable
shorter sight radius

Whatever I decide, it could turn out to be my primary carry piece.

Currently have in the house a *&* 686+ 2.5" (purchased new in 1999, therefore pre-agreement). Enjoy shooting with it, but it is the wife's and she is very protective of it. I would like a 357 of my very own, hence the urge.

From those of you who own a GP100, if you were given the choice, which would you choose and why?

My problem with fixed sights it that, as I understand it, they work best with only one kind (brand, weight of bullet). I would like the option of adjustable sights to be able to shoot accurately multiple kinds of ammo. Or, am I missing something?

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Thanks & 73

Bob

Last edited:
I don't think adjustable sights are an advantage on a carry gun.
The fixed sights on the M638 are right on the money out to about 10 yards - this isn't a target gun. It has been my experience that fixed-sighted, .38 Special revolvers are sighted-in for 158 grain ammo.

Of these choices, I'd pick the 3 inch.

You may want to check out the SP101

I bought both:)

You really can't go wrong. I find the 3 inch better for carry. The 4 inch is a house/field gun. There is little difference in accuracy at self defense ranges. I have round butt grips on both.

The SP101 is even better for carry, but is only 5 shot.

I'd have to agree with Mark IV Series 80. If the primary purpose is for carry, the adjustable sights aren't really needed. For example, WWII vintage handguns (and the military 9MM's now), most police revolvers for a 100 years (and most modern police autos now). Statistically, most defensive encounters are at less than 20 feet. And they generally happen so fast that you'll be lucky to pick up the front sight much less have time to line up both. And regarding barrel length - the longer barrel tends to be more "pointable" (but also easier to grab and take away from you). And longer barrels will develop more velocity with revolver cartriges (though I tend to think it's kind of a moot point when talking about .357's).

For mostly target shooting and occasional carry, definatly the 4" GP 100 with adjustable sights. (If you are really serious about target shooting go with the 6").

For mostly carry and moderate target shooting - 3" GP 100 fixed sights.

For a light, strong and powerful .357 that's small enough to REALLY carry a lot - go with the 2.25" SP101. It's plenty fast and accurate well beyond 20 feet.

I would go with the 4" barrel and adjustable sights. My experience with carrying is that barrel length doesn't make much difference, it is the butt end that prints. And, the 4" gives you a longer sight radius, more velocity, and in my experience is easier to hit with. I despise a pistol that doesn't shoot to point of aim. My SP-101 doesn't, therefore it is collecting dust in the back of my safe. It shoots low with every bullet available in that caliber.
"Statistically, most defensive encounters are at less than 20 feet."
While that may be true, what if you happen to be one of the ones that doesn't ? I want to be able to hit right where I look. I don't want to worry about holding six inches high or whatever when I REALLY need my gun to save my life. I recently began participating in IDPA and have been practicing a lot. These practice sessions involve drawing from concealment and firing at silhouette targets as fast as I can shoot accurately all on a timer. I am shooting a fixed sight 9mm using 147 grain bullets. The reason I use 147 grain bullets is because that bullet shoots where the sights look. If I use lighter bullets, it shoots low. during these drills hitting with the sights makes the difference between hitting the A-Zone or not. It makes the difference between making a head shot or not. To me, that is important.

I will have to say that depending on how you want to carry the inch extra in barrel likely will not matter. But I guess it could. I think adjustable sights are more for target than concealed carry.

I have a 3inch 100 in stainless and like it. I also have a 3inch 101 in stainless. They are both great. The 357 in the 100 is not that big a deal, it can be in the 101 if you are not used to it.

Got One

Thanks to all who replied.

Your opinions were/are greatly appreciated.

The general concensus seems to be get the 4".

Again, on my way home from work, I stopped at a different gun shop to check his prices and to see if he had any in stock. No GP100's in stock, but could order whatever I wanted.

Ordered a GP100 SS 4" adjustable sight revolver. Paid $400 out the door. Have to wait about 2 weeks for his regular delivery in order to save a few bucks. Since weather here is not conducive to shooting at my outdoor range, the wait is no big deal.

Other shop was $390, but had to add to that taxes and background check. Much better deal where I bought it.

Found out why the one shop is more expensive than the rest in the area. Seems the owner is doing this more or less as a hobby since he is well enough off not to even need a job. Therefore, to him, it doesn't matter if he gets his price or not.

In any case, I am anxious to get it and try it out. Now to start looking for a holster. Must look for high ride paddle with thumb-break. Any suggestions?

Thanks again and 73,

Bob

I would buy the four-inch barrel model KGP-141. I have two of them and they can be concealed, despite their overall size. The three-inch barrel GP-100s are not substantially easier to conceal -- and that is the key. With the four-inch, you sacrifice VERY little, but you gain a revolver that can be much better used for hunting and field plinking, target practice (with the adjustable sites), and home defense. In sum, the KGP-141 is likely the most versatile of the GP-100 series, and the GP-100s are likely the most durable and best value NIB DA .357 magnums in the market place.

Back