Please help identify...

diaperchanger

this Mark X rifle.

I tryed asking this in The Art of the Rifle but did a poor job wording my question. Let me try again. :o

Interarms Mark X 30-06
polished wood stock w/black grip cap
adj rear sight, unhooded ramp front
hard rubber buttplate
receiver is stamped "Manchester England" w/a logo next to it that resembles a "cz" in a circle
hinged floorplate
Serial #B98XX

There are only a few models of Mark X listed in my reference book and they are all, supposedly, imported from Yugoslavia except for the big-bore Whitworth Express. If this is a Yugo import, why is it stamped Manchester? :confused:

Even though it's just an inexpensive deer gun, I'm really curious to know what I've got. Any information is much appreciated. Thanks, and regards.

Mike

The Blue Book says that early (pre-1980) Interarms Mark X rifles were built in Manchester, England. Later guns were made by Creznia Zastavia in Yugoslavia. (Not to be confused with Ceska Zbrojovka in Czechoslovakia.) I am betting that the Manchester guns were assembled on CZ actions.

Well, yes, they were all Mauser TYPE actions. Some of the early ones were on k98 actions, surely refinished surplus. The Yugo Mk X were similar to a FN commercial Mauser of the time, with a Sako-type trigger and its side safety.

Yours, with the CZ trademark next to "Manchester" was apparently assembled in England on Yugo parts... unless it was imported complete and restamped.

There were some real oddities in those days. Lots of unused surplus parts of good quality.
There was a batch of Firearms International Musketeers on FN Mauser actions threaded to take Springfield barrels.
Some of the Parker Hale Midland rifles look like a Mauser action but have a humped-up receiver bridge to clear the safety lug of an '03 Springfield bolt! I don't know if they made those themselves or brought them in on special order from Spain where they got a lot of other stuff.

If I understand things correctly, your rifle is built on a CZ action by Whitworth, located (?) in Manchester, England. There were some problems with the company and later Whitworth rifles were assembled in the U.S. I believe those do not have the Manchester stamp.
I had two rifles based on CZ actions and both were made in Yugoslavia and were not of the Whitworth series, which, if memory serves they (the Whitworth's) were the more expensive variations. Still, both of mine were very accurate. I think yoyu most likely have a pretty nice rifle. Enjoy!
Paul B.

Back