Please help. I need a small accurate bubble level that will set on a picatinny rail.

mellow_c

The title says it all.

I want a small yet accurate bubble level to set on top of a picatinny rail so that I can level the rifle. Then I can hang a thick dark string with a weight on the end against a white wall, and then use that to line up my cross hairs with. Or something like that

But I cant find a small accurate bubble level anywhere!!! They are all like toys and inconsistent in quality.

There are bubble levels out there that actually ATTACH to your picatinny rail, but I doubt their accuracy as they probably end up moving as you tighten them down. That's why I want one that's small that I can set on top of the rail.

In this video the guy is using a red level on the rail with an elastic cord that looks promising, but I've searched everything I can think of with internet search engines and cant find anything like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiRwWlXf0Do

Please help. If you guys know of anything at all, please let me know.

Also please forgive me as I just posted this in the Gear and Accessories section, but then realized I might get a better response over here in The Smithy section :)

I have two Starrett machinist levels that are graduated in thousandths per foot. When it comes to leveling I level the lay-out/set-up table first, after that it looks like it gets complicated.

F. Guffey

Machinist level, to level a scope mount? You guys gotta be kidding...it's absolutely impossible, not to mention impractical...

My 6" Starrett level has been out of the box once- to level my lathe bed on setup- and likely won't be out again until it's moved or replaced.

Anything flat on the bottom with a bubble in it will work just fine for this purpose.

I use spirit vials.
Search the net (particularly Amazon or eBay) and you'll get many hits.

For some jobs, I also use camera "hot shoe levels" (google it). But cheaper versions must be checked for accuracy before they're trusted. They're generally only meant to provide a general idea of level for a non-critical application, so some adjustment may be required for more precision uses.

Here's the cheapest way you can do it.

Get two wires that are straight.

Lay them on different parts of the rail.

Look at them against a horizontal background.

You'll see if the rail is on straight by the wires. ;)

First off, thank you all for the suggestions. I particularly like the one Nathan posted. However I ended up buying a different one before I saw his post.

I ended up finding what I was looking for to begin with. I asked brownells customer service and they found the one from the video for me.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/537916/ctk-precision-all-purpose-gun-level

I could only find it on Amazon and at Midway so I got it from Midway because shipping was a little less.

$30 out the door.

Way to go brownells for finding a product for me that they don't seem to offer!

I'm going to start shooting at longer ranges some day (500-1000 yards) just for fun. So I figure I should do my best to be sure my scopes are all aligned with my rifles as precisely as I can manage.

Thanks again!

If you're shooting long range something else to keep in mind is that on some higher end scopes (not sure what you have) the underside of the scope will have a flat machined on it (directly opposite the elevation turret). This allows you to parallel that in relation to the rail (I've used pin Gage's and calipers as well to measure the gap on each side). As a result you'll get by far the best orientation of the scope relative to the rifle ensuring long range shots don't drift the further you dial it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a small round spirit level I use for leveling my milling machine and other tasks. I just rest it atop whatever it is I'm leveling. I find it to be plenty accurate enough for my needs. I don't recall where I got it, but an equivalent one shouldn't be too hard to find. Mine's only about an inch in diameter, but I was looking on the net just now, and there are some cool ones with graduations even that don't cost a lot. Kinda big though at 60mm.

Back