Please help figure out date of a Smith & Wesson Model 64-2

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to this forum, I have never started a thread on here I believe, but from reading old ones I can see there are some knowledgeable people here. My new S&W Mod. 64-2 snubbie has a serial number of AEE11XX. Can anyone point me towards a specific year with this? I used to have a link that had all serial numbers but I cannot find it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Howdy

I am not finding a specific reference for Serial Numbers starting with AEE, but The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson says the Model 64-2 debuted in 1977, and the Model 64-3 followed closely in 1977, so I would say that 1977 is a pretty good guess.

The dash 3 was the heavy barrel variant. Two dash numbers ran concurrently all the time. Same as the no dash and dash 1 on the Model 36. Though I did not know the dash 2 went that far back. However mine does not have a pinned barrel.

Best guess for year of manufacture is probably 1984 or 1985, AEE prefix isn't listed, but no AEx series was used,or listed after 1985.
64-2 started in 1977
The 64-4 started in 1988.
My guess FWIW.

Back