Please check out my YouTube channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both videos are very well done.
Good job.
As for having qualifications to speak on the subjects, if that were a necessary prerequisite there would be a lot less enjoyable conversations around here. :)

[QUOTE='Bama Mike]True. But I would like to know that he is at least former military or LEO [/QUOTE]
Why?

How does having once been a grunt or a cop in any way better qualify you to talk about where to buy ammo, or about holsters that neither the military or the police use?

Why?

How does having once been a grunt or a cop in any way better qualify you to talk about where to buy ammo, or about holsters that neither the military or the police use?

Does it matter why I asked what his qualifications were? Maybe I just wanted to ask if he had any at all.

I had not watched the videos before I asked him that question because I wanted to ask first.

Not knowing what the videos speak to, other than they will be firearms related, I can understand the question perfectly well. As to handguns, unless a Larry Vickers type who is a pistol expert and trainer, most military personnel are not very familiar with pistol handling skills being their primary weapon is a rifle. As to LEO, since their primary weapon is the handgun, I can see where you might want to know about training and experience.

The videos are of a subject matter that don't necessarily depend upon actual training or experience - LEO or otherwise.

I thought the videos fairly well done.

Those videos are a pretty good start as far as production quality. You kept it simple and missed a lot of cringe enticing production mistakes.

Only a small percentage of LEO know much at all about handguns and what they know is mostly from training outside their work.
The majority of US military personnel know very little about any sort of small arms. They do not handle them with any regularity in the course of their work.

John Williams- Please share with us some of the peer reviewed studies about how little LEOs know about firearms. Love to see the ones citing the percentage.

And while you are at it tell us about "the military" too. That deserves a closer inspection as well.

Of course there are no such studies, but I used to shoot with an armorer for the Dallas PD. He basically said the same thing. He was further bothered by the lack of pro 2A cops as well.

A lot of cops simply are not gun people and many that are don't know much beyond their issued gear. Same for the military. It really sort of mirrors the general population.

Dave,
I liked the second video much better than the first. You were actually demonstrating things and so video is a valid platform to use. In the first video, it was just a picture while you talked. While you provided some good information, staring at a singular picture while somebody talks about a related subject (the picture was not necessary for the message conveyed) is rather boring. That sort of information would have best been in a blog-type format. In other words, being a video added nothing to the delivery of the message and it took a lot longer to listen to your slow paced monologue than it would have taken to read the same information. If you are going to do this sort of video again, I think you need to shorten it considerably. There probably isn't any reason that video could not have been cut to 3 minutes or less. Adding bullet points would have benefited the viewing experience as well.

You are apparently much more comfortable with speaking on video than I am. :o Your delivery pace wasn't too fast. Your words were clear. Good!

Your delivery pace wasn't too fast. Your words were clear. Good!

Indeed.

I would offer some criticism I hope is constructive.

I also preferred the second video. It's shorter and it's actually a video. I am not interested in the subject matter, but you provide clear comment and illustration. Those are both winning elements.

The first isn't a video. It's an audio file set to a static picture. Writing as one who did some radio long ago, I know that straight audio has some limitations. The content needs to hook a listener into paying attention and looking for the next point. Instructional audio is famously difficult for many to follow.

The better medium to communicate that would be the written word. That way people can take the information at their own pace. As a rule, I don't watch 10 minute videos, and I didn't watch all of that one.

If you've incorporated in your state or obtained a vendor's license or tax ID in your state, you might metaphorically walk the viewer through the process in your state, with illustration of forms, or something else for people to view.

Hope that helps. Best of luck.

Of course there are no such studies, but I used to shoot with an armorer for the Dallas PD. He basically said the same thing. He was further bothered by the lack of pro 2A cops as well.

A lot of cops simply are not gun people and many that are don't know much beyond their issued gear. Same for the military. It really sort of mirrors the general population.

Completely made up on the spot based on a conversation with one person, got it thanks.

The notion that one would be particularly qualified to teach and advise in matters of small arms simply because he was once a LEO or in service isn't reflective.

My experience mirrors JW062's. I've had the misfortune of sharing a range with police departments. They were awful compared to an average hobbyist. That's understandable. Writing tickets and taking crime reports and answering domestic dispute calls doesn't typically involve firearm use. Some PO's are fine marksmen, but the ones I've known have been involved in competition.

Similarly, for people in service, unless one's specialty involves ample use of small arms, it just isn't a large part of the job.

EDIT - DNS's observation below about cars and radios is apt. I use courtrooms that are wired for all sorts of complex interactions with jurors in the room or rooms offsite, and I use a computer almost everyday, but I am not an IT guy.

I am only about a step away from correcting documents by applying white-out to my screen.

Last edited:
Completely made up on the spot based on a conversation with one person, got it thanks.

Not really. Cops use a LOT of equipment. They drive cars but most don't know much about cars. They use radios but have little insight into the world of radios beyond changing volume, channels, and pressing to talk.

Just because you are a cop or are in the military doesn't mean you know much about anything besides outside of what training you had. The training of most cops and military folks does not include any sort of extensive and diverse firearms training outside of a very limited number of platforms.

However, if you have peer-reviewed sources to the contrary, do be sure to share them. I would hate for you to not be held to the same standard you expect others to follow.

Just because you are a cop or are in the military doesn't mean you know much about anything besides outside of what training you had. The training of most cops and military folks does not include any sort of extensive and diverse firearms training outside of a very limited number of platforms.

However, if you have peer-reviewed sources to the contrary, do be sure to share them.

I am not the one making ridiculous broad based claims about knowing things that I can not know based upon the flimsiest of hearsay evidence.

When people paint with a broad brush they look foolish and do everyone a disservice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back