Please advise on the pros and cons of Browning HiPower, CZ 75B, CZ 85B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogger

Could you Browning and CZ afficionados give me a "Cliff Notes" lesson on the pros and cons of each? At the local gunshops I have heard casual users say the Browning HiPower is incredibly reliable and accurate, but delicate with hot 9mm loads, and a nuisance to clean. I have heard that the CZ 75B is better made than the CZ 85B, and that overall the CZs handle hot 9mm loads much better than Browning HiPowers, are just as accurate, are cheaper, easier to break down and clean, but much more difficult to get parts or gunsmithing. Please help me make a wise choice. No one in the local area has a CZ I can put my hands on. Thanks

My HighPower is an old FN Belgian made pistol. It is accurate and extremely reliable with most ammunition. (The exception being that some lighter bullet weight hollow points may not feed well.)
On the durability questiom, HighPowers were used extensively by the british, the Canadians, and the Germans in World War Two using 9mm submachinegun loads wnd enjoyed an excellent reputation on both sides. It is possible that some of the modern guns are not as well made or reliable as the older FN made models.
I have no personal experience with the CZ75 but peopkeI know who own them seem happy with them.

Dogger,

My dad has a CZ75 and I've shot both that and the Browning. The Browning does have a reputation for being a bit more finicky than the CZ does. The CZ is extremely reliable and accurate. One great advantage of the CZ is that it is DA/SA where the Browning is only SA, so you have a choice with the CZ of carrying cocked and locked or hammer down. One of the reasons, I chose the HK USP 9 over the Glock, was that I could carry in Condition 1, and if the pistol were at home, with my wife, she could operate it with the hammer down to decrease the possibility of an Accidental/negligent discharge. I don't know a lot about the CZ 85, but I think it's main difference is an ambidextrous safety???

Anyways, depending on what you want, and your budget, I'd go with the CZ 75, especially since most agencies that shoot Brownings customize them.

Anyways, that my .02

About a year ago I started to look at getting a Hipower. After shooting my friend's gun, I had to shelve that idea. Hipowers have a nasty habit of "biting" the web of your hand if you have "meaty" hands like mine. It really is a great gun, but this small problem is rather painful! And surprizingly, the new production models have not fixed this problem. I strongly urge you to try shooting this gun before buying one.

At the advice of this forum, I looked at the CZ 75B. I ended up buying one. Boy, is this a nice gun (especially for the money). I consider the CZ an updated version of the Hipower - it is DA/SA and with no hammer bite! It is much more accurate than I am, and I haven't had the first bit of reliability trouble.

You really can't go wrong with either of these pistols (providing the Hipower "hammer bite" doesn't get you).

Hello. Sage advice has previously been given. That said, hammer bite from HPs can often be rectified by bobbing the hammer at the second lateral serration and rounding. I routinely do that on any new ones I get or replace the hammer, not with a Browning ball hammer, as it, too, bites, but with a Cylinder and Slide ball hammer. It's ring is smaller. Note, too, that the newer HPs, ie the Mk IIIs feed much easier than some of the earlier versions set up only for ball. The CZ 75 is a fine pistol and you can still get up to 8 factory pre-ban 15 round magazines for $39.95 each from CZ-USA. Best.

Hello again. I forgot to mention that because of the CZ 75's geometry, addition of any front sight that's much higher will result in the need for a very high rear sight. Note the original sights and you'll see what I mean. Frankly, I find the sights it comes with just fine. The CZ normally has a long, but very smooth and light double-action and a decent single-action. The single-action usually is NOT as crisp as a single-action-only autopistol, but it's still not bad and can be helped with a good gunsmith. Also the CZ does not have the dreaded magazine disconnect. Should you happen to test the CZ vs Browning HP in a ransom rest, don't be dismayed that the HP will usually shoot tighter groups from the rest than the CZ. This is because the CZ slide-to-frame fit is often, but not always, looser than that of the HP. However, the barrel-to-slide fit is always tight. Thus, when hand-holding the gun and aligning the sights the fact that the slide may not have returned to exactly the same position reference the frame does not matter. Either gun is a top choice. I favor the HP over the CZ, but not by much. I'd hate to have to live on the difference. The Browning and the CZ are my top 2 favorite 9mm handguns. Best.

CZ-75B has no cons. If you are not influenced
by sales propaganda, and trust your own
judgement, it will be obvious to you that
this $350 all-steel pistol with $ 700 trigger is just much more REFINED than "superstar" HK USP 9, $600 pistol with $1 trigger...You really got to pull the trigger
of HK USP9 and then repeat the same procedure
with CZ-75B - you are not going no have any
doubts which one you like...

I own one, it was accurate right from the box, with super smooth DA trigger, and
required no "break-in" period. It loves
hot ammo like Fiocchi, GECO and good
military loads. No jams or failures to feed,
no misfires, easy cleaning, nice ergonomics
and looks, good service from CZ-USA and reasonably priced magazines. And it's not
expensive, I would estimate that if CZ would
want to get the same profit margins as HK
getting for their USP9, CZ-75B price should
be in a range of $1000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back