Playing with my GSG 1911 22

AzShooter

It's been forever since I had the fun of taking apart a standard Government Model and repairing or just changing parts. Today I had to play with my GSG 1911 22 and was I humbled.

I decided to replace my broken firing pin ( I learned that you cannot dry fire this gun like I do with all my others). I also wanted to replace the sear spring and the safety.

I had no end of problems replacing the sear spring. No matter how I tried I couldn't get the hammer to stay back and the 1/2 cock to function. I spent a few hours and tried 3 different springs. Finally I watched a couple of videos on You Tube and saw where the problem was. After that I got it on the first try. (O.K. as I said it's been a long time for me to take apart a GM).

When I took the safety off the little pin underneath flew into the never to be seen reaches of the garage. I had to wait a few days for the replacement to come in and learned to take apart small pieces while the gun is in a gallon Baggie. This captured the pin a few times until I got it right.

Hopefully I'll get to shoot it tomorrow or Saturday to see how good my build went.

I know, when I get done adding all these new parts to my $300 gun I'll still have a $300 gun but look at all the fun I'm having.

ETixZz0h.jpg

I finally got to take it to the range after fixing a few problems. At my last outing my firing pin broke. I discovered this after completely field stripping the pistol. I also read review about the accurizing kit from CWAccessories and thought I'd add that as well as a new Cylinder And Slide sear spring.

The firing pin wasn't that hard to replace. The accurizing kit was just replacement parts and the C&S sear spring did give me some problems. I couldn't get the hammer to set and lost my grip safety. After a few YouTube videos I figured it out.

The gun now has a 3.5 pound trigger and groups much better than it did.

I shot 200 rounds of Blazer without a problem. One hundred rounds of Aguila Extra 40 grain worked pretty well with only one failure to fire, and 100 rounds of CCI - SV just to see if they worked. They did. This gun is now 100% reliable and a blast to shoot.

Next modification: new adjustable sights.

I've now fired about 2500 rounds and have had very few malfunctions shooting mostly Blazer ammo.

I replaced the stock sights with a set of adjustable ones from CW Accessories. Unfortunately the front sight that came with the kit is too high. I ordered a new front sight from Dawson Precision today that replaces the .300 with a .240 .100 front to get the adjustment back down. I was almost tapped out on adjustment the way it came.

An unfortunate problem, after firing about 2000 rounds I lost the capability of my grip safety working. Some people like to pin the safety so that they can have a looser grip but I like having all safeties working the way they are suppose to.

This confused me for a while. I kept taking out the sear spring trying to get the safety to work. Today I looked at the rear of the trigger and found that a small section where the grip safety is suppose to hit, was missing. That explains that problem..

Tomorrow I'll call ATI and ask for a replacement. They have been good about supporting their products. If they don't have one I've already found a replacement on line.

Back