Plausibility of converting a Vepr to take FAL, G3, or M1A mags?

Correia

Could this be done? I really think the Vepr is a neat gun, but for its intended purpose the single stack mags seem like a pain. Especially since they cost as much or more than a 20 round mag for one of the more common .308 MBRs.

I know that the single stack AKs now being imported can be changed over with the addition of x number of US made parts. So it should be legal.

Could this be done with out hurting the reliability of the Vepr? How could it be done? How much would it probably cost?

I asked this question a while ago in the art of the rifle, and nobody was quite sure. Thought maybe the folks here in the Smithy might have an idea.

i do not know what type of mags your vepr came with but mine has a 5rd and a 10rd double stack mag.
looked at redoing an fn mag but dofferent taper at the front. yes factory mags are a little pricey but after looking at the cost of doing a gallil mag conversion i am going to stick with the 10 rd ones for now.
i cannot confirm it but i have heard that if you disassembly the mag and shorten the bottom of the mag follower you are supposedly able to "squeeze" in another round or 2.again i have heard it mentioned but not actually seen one to date.

Correia, practically anything can be done to a rifle if you are willing to throw enough time or money at it. As to the feasibility I doubt you'd ever save enough in magazines to cover the cost of such a conversion. I don't know who might do it. I'd be willing to take a look at it and then quote you a price. E-mail me if you like. George

Supposedly, it's unlawful to change a mag to the point that it can't be used in the original firearm...however, it's legal to change a firearm to accept other mags...I am going to have an SA2000M changed to accept standard AK mags soon, for example.

AFAIK there's no law about modifying a magazine to fit another firearm - but it IS illegal to take a post-ban magazine and modify it to more than 10 rounds capacity.

Jim, I don't own a Vepr, but I'm thinking about it. Thats why I'm asking this question. At this point its either going to be the Vepr or I'm going to build a FAL for a .308 mbr. But not for a while yet.

Mr. Stringer, I would hate to take up too much of your valuable time looking over a project that I'm not sure about doing anyway. Thanks for the offer of the quote though. Perhaps when I'm feeling a little richer I will send you an e-mail.

BATF has ruled that modification of magazines to fit another rifle is acceptable so long as the motified magazine will still fit in the orig. rifle. Modification of the rifle to take pre-Ban magazines might be acceptable but might violate 922r. My opinion, live with the standard capacity or buy a reasonably priced FAL. My source is somewhere on www.armalite.com but I'm not exactly sure what part of the site I saw it on. They forbade Armalite from taking the lug off of modified mags. The mags still have to function in M-1A's.

Back