Plating Question? Chrome vrs. Nickel?

Oldspeed

Hello,
I know that Hard Chrome is the most popular finish for hard use guns. I have had parts plated in the past with Electroless Nickel and they look just like stainless steel. The Nickel coating is not as hard but I was told that it is more self lubricating and wear is similar. I read that Nickel does not plate as evenly and can pool up in valleys and depressions such as screw holes? I think that the coating is thicker than Hard Chrome and maybe not as uniform? Hard Chrome parts seem to fit the same as before plating because the plating is so thin. Is there any advantage to Nickel other than if one prefers the color?
Thanks

Oldspeed, I'm not a plater but I don't see any advantages of nickel over hard chrome. The majority of my customers want chrome. You can get it with a satin or brushed finish that resembles stainless. George

I was under the impression that a chrome plating was best applied on top of nickel. I have heard that Winchester first plates their Marine shotguns in copper, then nickel, then Chrome for the best adhesion. Sheez, just buy STAINLESS!!! :)

------------------
God made us in his own image.
Thomas Jefferson made us free.
John Browning made us equal.

Without Browning, we might not know about the other two...

Decorative chrome such as on bumpers is applied that way. Industrial hard chrome, is applied in a different process. It's main purpose is protective, not decorative. The inner surfaces of M-60 & M-240 machineguns are plated with industrial hard chrome. It has specific advantages over nickle as nickle has a few over hard chrome. I prefer hard chrome over stainless due to its natural slickness, hardness, lack of galling, etc. Stainless steel actually has chrome & nickle in the matrix to impart the "stainless" properties. Stainless, as used by Colt at least, is too soft, gummy, & hard to work with. Try fitting a 1911 or checkering to see what I mean. You'll see why folks like hard chrome.

Back