Plated Bullets

Bucksnort1

A few years ago, I think I asked the question about loading plated bullets and whether they can be loaded like jacketed bullets or more like lead bullets. I searched this site but could not find the topic so I will aske the question again.

Do I load .357 plated bullets with same recipes as JHC bullets or with all lead recipes?

From Berry's:

https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq

Where can I find load data for your bullets?

Load data from any load manual or website can be used. Full-metal jacketed, lead bullet, or plated bullet load data can be used as long as the following standards are adhered to:

The data contains the correct grain weight of bullet.
Berry's max recommended velocity is not exceeded. (This info is displayed on bullet boxes and product webpages.)

Standard Plate Bullets Max Velocity: 1,250 fps.

Thick-Plate Bullets (TP) Max Velocity: 1,500 fps.

Do not over-crimp the bullet. Crimping so tight that bullet deformation occurs, or plating is separated causing visible exposure of the lead core will cause tumbling, key-holing, and reduced accuracy.

Load data containing bullet descriptions such as Plated (P,) Berry's Bullet (BERB,) Total Metal Jacket (TMJ,) Copper Plated (CP,) or CPJ (Copper Plated Jacket,) refers to plated bullet data.

Cartridge Overall Lengths (COL) are found in the load data being used. DO NOT EXCEED SAAMI MAX COL SPECS.

For SAAMI MAX COL specs please click HERE.

Here are websites with load data information:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

Rainier bullets were plated rather thinly and bullets like that should be loaded like lead maybe slightly higher, but not as high pressure as a thick jacket. The Berry’s thick plated or similar bullets are much closer to jacketed, if not equivalent but the jacketed are still usually a bit thicker and better gilding material alloy than the plating.

Lee and other manuals typically list the plated as the same load as lead, even if they separate them into another table when you compare its same or similar.

* I’m a Rainier plated bullet fan and bought what I could find when they disappeared from the market, just load to under max without pushing into +P territory.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Traditionally, plated bullets are loaded like lead bullets.
Then, it was decided that plated bullets could be loaded like jacketed from start to the mid-range load, but no higher.
Now, go to the manufacturer's web site and see what they say (look for the FAQ section), but it normally is simply "don't load over xxxx fps."
In almost all cases, your first step should be the manufacturer before ever turning to strangers.
Personally, I find plated bullets, except for just a couple from MAJOR bullet makers, to be a total waste of money in terms of accuracy and good only for "phew, phew" type of shooting.
Where I get <1" to very slightly over 2" groups with jacketed bullets and about the same with swaged lead or my own cast bullets, the plated bullets I have tested gave me 3" to somewhere north of 12", as the bullets didn't even stay on the paper at 25 yards.
I used to tell folks to buy excellent jacketed bullets from Precision Delta for the same cost as plated, but now no one has bullets any way...
If it would make you feel better, buy the Lee manual where he has loads for plated bullets (no idea where he got the load data from, since neither he nor the plated bullet companies have done any load development testing, but it is all safe and good to go).
IF you didn't get these answers years ago, I have no idea why not. A quick Duckduckgo or Google search of "load data for plated bullets" will give you PAGES of responses.

Bucksnort1 asked:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do I load .357 plated bullets with same recipes as JHC bullets or with all lead recipes?

I load 125 gr plated for plinking and practice in my 357M for many years.
Add a medium crimp and ran velocity up at 1,200 fps,
so as to match the POI of my SD loads.
Not had any signs of barrel leading.

Bucksnort1,

Something to keep in mind is that when the 357 was being developed 1930's by overloading 38 Special in a heavy frame 38 Special revolver, lead bullets are what were used. These were cast bullets with some tin added to harden them over what swaged lead is usually hardened to, but lead nonetheless. So it follows that plated bullets should be possible to drive to such velocities.

Some thick-plated bullets like the Speer Gold Dot's use actual gilding metal for plating, but because copper and high copper alloys can only be hardened by working them and not chemically or by heat treating, these plated jackets, regardless of alloy, are never as hard as jackets formed by stamping out cups from a rolled sheet and die forming them into jackets. For this reason, they behave more like hard cast bullets than anything else, offering similarly lower start pressures than jacketed bullets do. The softer surface also is abraded more easily than jackets, so copper fouling from them can build up faster when they are driven hard.

To get around that problem with its Gold Dot high power rifle bullets, Speer applies a lubricating coating of hex-form boron nitride to them (hBN). I think, if you want magnum performance from them it is a good idea to do that, too. However, there is another method you may find easier. G. David Tubb sells a hBN both for bullet coating and as a powder additive he calls Tubb Dust. You mix about 12 grains into a pound of powder. It's extremely fine and spreads around and tends to get on your powder measure and everything else, but it effectively cuts way down on copper fouling in your bore by depositing some in the bore with every shot.

In theory, you can also do that with moly powder. The problem is that acid radicals can form from the powder if it isn't an acid-neutralized type, and they would accelerate powder aging and consume some of the powder's stabilizer over time, so I can't recommend adding it to powder until you are about to use it, and then you don't want the loads sitting around for decades. Tubb dust is chemically neutral to powder and the grade of fineness was carefully chosen to spread around well in the bore. There may be something else in it. I don't know, but it does work.

Back