Plastic wad fouling cleaning success

musicmatty

Never ever had a problem with plastic wad fouling until recently shooting 30 slugs through my shotgun. The fouling was localized to one particular area of the barrel which started 3 inches out from the chamber and was a total of 3 inches in length.

After no less than six failed attempts of cleaning which included the (brass or copper cleaning brush) scrubbing the inside of the barrel, I had to try something else. I sprayed the inside of the barrel with brake cleaner and I attached my cleaning brush to just one section of the Cleaning rod which was approximately 12 inches in length and then I attached that to a drill.

After approximately five minutes of gently going back-and-forth over that 3 inch stretch inside the barrel with the drill turning at a high speed, I applied more brake cleaner and re-inserted and continued back-and-forth again for another couple minutes. After all was said and done, the barrel looks like glass inside and the cleaning patches finally came out completely white.

So apparently using a cleaning brush on its own going back-and-forth is not the same as a high-speed drill being able to rotate that brush inside for additional friction and cleaning.

I’m sure this information has been shared before so I will gladly add my name to the list of people who will affirm that this technique works exceedingly well!
07b0d389-2351-4a7c-9a88-a46cb60f8c6f.jpeg

Gee, I though "Shooters' Choice" was the cats' meow, back in th 70's, when i was shooting trap and skeet. Really, it came through when I started OTC highpower rifle shooting.

Just use the standard bronze brushes, never used a cylinder hone??

Back