Plastic vials for pre-measured charges - project

Rookie21

My last trip to friendship I picked up a wooden box that housed 20 plastic vials and stoppers used for holding pre-measured charges. I really liked the concept and it proved useful in my timed fire relays and targets. I thought that I could also use them to hold various pre-measured charges for testing - measure them all out at home and carry them to the range to shoot. So I ordered 100 extra vials from a source on eBay for $15 and change - shipping and all.

When they came in they were too long to close the lid to the box! So I thought I'd trim them down to proper length.... All 100 of em! :(

I wanted to use a scroll saw but I dont own one and didn't find one to borrow. I used a coping saw instead and had to hold the vials snug in a jig. These saw left the lengths inconsistent and rough. I found that the vials fit nicely into a .45 colt casing and chucked the two into a case trimmer and uniformed the lengths of the vials. To clean up the edges where shaved plastic was still flakey and intact I used a chamfering tool.

The vials came out clean cut and uniform in the proper length as if they came that way from the factory.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 44
Here is what I use. They will hold up to 25 grains

0003-2.jpg

FIL always used those glass vials that held water for single roses... ( I think he bought his wife flowers just to get the vials :) )

they have a rubber cap with a hole for the stem, but he put a tight fit card stock disk inside the cap... they seemed to work well...

Kwhi43 that's exactly what I'm going to be using but the vials were all way too long. I didn't think they'd be as long as they were when I ordered them. When I'm done I'll have two boxes of 50 each. I'm using a box suited for .410 to .30-06 casings. Not sure how many grains they hold but I'm sure plenty for rifle or pistol.

Back