Plastic guide rods, Bedair replacements, and Beretta PX4

LockedBreech

So, I know a lot of people replace factory plastic guide rods with steel aftermarkets, as well as fiddling with their guns in lots of other ways. I've always been against fiddling with a gun in its stock configuration, thinking that the company must have done their research, but I looked at Steve Bedair's stainless guide rod for the Beretta PX4 (needs to be custom ordered but that's okay) for $45. It's a very nice looking part, and seems like it would last as long as the gun.

My worry: I think about the Glock 22 Gen 3 issues with attaching a weapon light, and I worry that changing the weight in the front of the gun will adversely impact the recoil of the gun and cause me to have FTFs or FTEs in a gun that has been up until this point flawless.

Are there any potential downsides to replacing the factory plastic with a Bedair stainless rod?

I'll go with the old Air Force saying; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My "first" gun with a plastic guide rod was the sigma. I wouldn't change it for anything, it works too well as is.

Totally Agree, I have a PX4 in 9mm and I LOVE HER, She is all I carry, have shot more rounds through her then most people fire through all their guns combined, I live right by My Club Range so stop in there almost daily.
Point being is I have changed NOTHING internally and have had ZERO issues with Her. Have Never even had a Jam, its rediculous how great She is.. I dont know if I just got lucky or We just have this Man/Machine Bond, LOL.
But all kidding aside She is amazing and 100% PERFECT and in this case I agree, If She Aint Broke, Dont "TRY" And Fix Her..

Good Luck and have fun with Her!

Good, glad ya seen the light! LOL..
Ya know I have to say how I love the fast responses in here.. Left a post in the rifle forum as I got My first one yesterday and lord I have some questions but is 2 days with no answers..lol..

There is concern about plastic guide rods, but the guide rod isn't a particularly highly stressed part.

SIG used plastic guide rods for a while, but got so much flak from new buyers that they went back to metal. There was no sign that the return to metal was due to the inadequacy of the plastic parts.

With CZs, a lot of the "compact" model owners switched out to metal guide rods (full-length in the compact guns). This was not a problem for the steel-framed guns, but CZ warned against it for the alloy-framed guns, as steel is harder than the alloy... and there could be wear at the "receiver stop," where the recoil rod rests during the recoil cycle. A while back, I heard that CZ was seeing frame wear from the steel guide rods in alloy guns, and said that such wear was NOT covered under warranty.

That is arguably the main concern if you switch out plastic for metal -- be sure that the guide rod is compatible with the frame. I've never heard of a plastic CZ guide rod failing.

I think I've heard of ONE Glock guide rod failing, and they're plastic -- and there are a LOT of Glocks out there, being shot a lot. (And when I heard about that Glock guide rod breaking, the gun continued to function...)

Last edited:
I've kept the plastic guide rod in every gun that comes with one except the Glocks. I've had a guide rod on a Glock 23 break while at the range and since then I've always put a Wolff guide rod/spring in my Glocks. If I ever have a plastic one fail in anything else I'll start changing them out with that platform as well.

Just ordered one from him for my sig 2022. No problems so far with my original. Just something to try. I'm guessing I'll see zero difference.

I had a SIG 2340 guide rod break. I have seen others break on other guns with other folks. Its not common, but it happens. If Steve Bedair makes a steel guide rod for a gun that I own then it is on my gun. BTW, with the PX4 you can just acquire the guide rod and go with a non-captive system.

I feel stupid, but I'm not clear on captured / uncaptured. Don't you need to use the system the gun was designed for?

With a captured recoil rod system the spring is help into place by a pin and/or collar that retains the spring(s) onto the recoil rod. The uncaptured allows the spring to slide on and off the recoil rod for easy changing. In the case of the PX4 it is the uncaptured same system as the captured except there isn't a pinned cap to hold the whole assembly together. Rather than one whole unit the recoil rod assembly is made up of four seperate parts. Same exact function, you just have to deal with four parts rather than one whole unit. Not a big deal.

I understand the notion of "if it ain't broke don't fix it", but when you have had the experience of looking down at a broken recoil rod and your gun is out of action you kinda begin to appreciate that an ounce of prevention can be worth a pound of cure.

I have a full size 9 PX4 and have replaced the plastic rod with the metal rod, just because I have read so many accounts of failures - especially in early years. The spring/block assembly reassembles flat and tight compared to the plastic version making it easier to assemble slide. There may be a slight reduction in felt recoil as well. The rod/spring assembly is sold by Beretta so they have obviously seen issues. There is a stronger rod/spring also for +P shooters. The regular steel replacement is Beretta #C8A299.

My early 2nd Gen Glock 17 still has the original plastic guide rod in it. The gun is not the best shooter, but it is rugged and perfectly reliable. I don't know why I'd replace the plastic one with a steel one. If I were to do that, then wouldn't logic dictate I should replace the plastic frame with a steel one?

Yep. Zombie thread. Of all the folks participating in 2012, a few haven't logged onto the board in ten years; others have not logged on for two or three years. Only the thread starter is still active on the forum. It's hard to get participation from those who've left, whether to pursue other interests or because they've gone to the great range in the sky. That is why it is generally best to start a new thread on a subject rather than reply to one this old. You'll get more interest and participation.

Back