plastic cover..(saving Pvt.Ryan)

paltik

im planning to cover my rifles,SMG's,handguns
with palstic just like in the movie...for
long term storage...
is this OK? pls. help me..my wooden cabinet
is next to a concrete walling that's why i want to cover it,so that my guns wont need
regular cleaning...
pls. help.
thanks a lot.

------------------
REY MARIANO

paltik; here is the way I put my firearms away for long term storage:

First, of course, clean the gun. Then spray the insides with Shooter's Choice Rust Prevent.

Wipe the outside of the firearm with Marine Tuf-Cloth (Discount Knives, $7)

Put firearm in Bianchi Blue Bag; this is a heavy guage plastic bag (they come in different sizes for rifle and pistols). The inside of the bag is impregnated with VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor); this fills the inside of the bag with a harmless gas that prevents corrosion of ferrous and non ferrous metals.

If it is really humid, add one or two silica gel air dryers; these are small perforated Al containers, which have silica gel, which absorbs water, inside them. There is a small window so you can see the silica gel, and a Cobalt salt color codes the condition of the silica gel; blue is dry, pink is saturated. You put the Al cans into the oven to recharge the silica gel. Put these inside the blue bag. Blue bags, silica gel dryers available from Dillon or Midway Arms; shooter's supply outfits.

That should do it. Walt

Rich, this is the second time we have agreed in as many days. One of us obviously needs his meds adjusted. ;) Walt

PS I will do my darndest over the next four days to get 'adjusted!!' WW

Gun Parts Corp. has some bags that might work. I found them at http://secure.shooters.com/gunpartscorp/sizzlejuly98.html

hope this helps.

------------------
"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself......
To insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and the pistol
are equally indespensable...... They deserve a place of honor
with all that's good......" GEORGE WASHINGTON

Back