Place to shoot near Houston

btmj

My nephew recently moved to Texas. He lives in the Houston area. He is a college student and has limited money to spend on shooting.

He tells me there are many indoor pistol ranges in the area, but he can't find a place to shoot his 308 rifle. I find that a bit hard to believe, but ... hey, he lives there and I don't, so maybe it is the way it is.

Any Houston-ites know of a public rifle range in the area?

Jim

edit: post number 600 ! Woo-Hoo !

Hot Wells on Highway 290 has 100 yd range. Carter's Country on Treshwig road has 100 yd range also, and much reloading stuff.

He could try American Shooting Centers:

http://www.amshootcenters.com/

They have rifle ranges from 50 to 300 yards.

American Shooting Centers is a mixed bag. IIRC they charge by the gun at a pretty hefty fee. Plus their Range Officers can be rather silly at times. That and you're shooting with the general public who often has no idea what they're doing.

The last time I went there many moons ago some Vietnamese guy just walked up to the firing line and started blasting away at his target with people still down range. Though it was rather amusing to watch people scramble for cover, I promptly backed up my toys and went home.

Top Gun by the Gallaria isn't too bad if you're just shooting pistols, but for long-range shooting it's no good. He may want to checkout Bayou Rifles, which I hear is pretty good.

Thanks for the kind words about Bayou Rifles!

Unfortunately the membership cap is reached right now. This is from the website:
Membership is full for 2013, and the waiting list is closed. However, as soon as we know how many members will not renew for 2014, we will begin admitting new members from the waiting list. If additional membership openings are available, we will re-open the waiting list.

Please note that one does NOT need to be a member to shoot in the matches, they are open to all. Long range (1,000 yards) is the first Sunday of each month. Midrange (either 300 or 600 yards depending on what month) is the second Sunday of the month. If he can forget about it being a "match" and just shoot and enjoy himself, he will meet some helpful friendly people who will welcome him to the Houston area.

Also - I do not know their membership "cap" status but Greenwood is a few miles South and Pearland (PSC) is Southeast. Both have nice ranges and good people.

houston - shooting range

I have to second all the bull that goes on at American Shooters can be a bit unnerving. But, if you go during the week or really early you can usually avoid most of the idiots.

Thanks for the kind words about Bayou Rifles!

Unfortunately the membership cap is reached right now. This is from the website:

Please note that one does NOT need to be a member to shoot in the matches, they are open to all. Long range (1,000 yards) is the first Sunday of each month. Midrange (either 300 or 600 yards depending on what month) is the second Sunday of the month. If he can forget about it being a "match" and just shoot and enjoy himself, he will meet some helpful friendly people who will welcome him to the Houston area.

Also - I do not know their membership "cap" status but Greenwood is a few miles South and Pearland (PSC) is Southeast. Both have nice ranges and good people.

PSC is also full. Their membership wait list is an expected 3 years I believe. You don't have to be a member to shoot competitions out there, but you do if you just want to use the range.

OP, Houston really doesn't have much in the way of rifle ranges, certainly not many decent public ones.

Hmmm...

it is a little different than Missouri I see...

Here, the MO dept of conservation runs a number of rifle ranges across the state... there are two good ones serving the St Louis metro area.

You can shoot for an hour for outrageous cost of $3. I believe they are a max of 100 yards in range, and rapid fire is not allowed, but they are a great place to sight in a scope.

I figured that all gun-friendly states would have cheap public ranges operated by the state government. I guessed wrong...

Jim

Back