Pittsburgh to outlaw 37 types of firearms for G-20

tunakermit

Article here.

This seems odd to me. If the intent is to secure the summit and ensure the safety of the participants, why not just create temporary high-security areas around the meeting locations? I wonder what the PA state legislature would have to say about this?

It seems that this is not the only reason the Pittsburgh City Council is drawing fire. They're also trying to prohibit people from concealing their identity.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09246/995280-482.stm

The hearing was held to get views on rules that would allow police to cite people wearing masks or carrying items from pipes to high-powered rifles if they appear intent on thwarting police dispersal orders. It became an outlet for concern about what some called the pending militarization of Downtown, and what others characterized as the demonization of protest.

"The real message that I'm hearing is that Pittsburgh welcomes the world, except those who choose to dissent and exercise their free-speech rights," said David Meiern, a veteran protester, who then donned a polar bear mask while addressing council.

"Take that off, it's illegal," quipped council President Doug Shields.
Although I'm not familiar with PA state law, other news stories on this topic suggest that it's already legal under state law to arrest people for ignoring a police dispersal order, and for a municipality to ban the open carrying of firearms by civilians in an "emergency". Therefore, the proposed ordinances are mere window dressing. I know nothing of Pittsburgh city politics, but this strikes me as blatant political posturing. :rolleyes:

Do the councilmembers not realize that by throwing the 1st and 2nd Amendments into the wind, they are baiting people into starting more protests?

I am truly dumbfounded. :confused:

Back