PITA Safety Rules

I talked with a guy shot on the trap field while shooting singles, by a guy who had loaded both barrels of his o/u. The second shot went off after the shooter killed the target and allowed his gun to point off to his side. The shooter insists his finger was off of the trigger.

Just a reminder that there are reasons for those PITA safety rules.

-Keep the gun pointed down range.
-Only load a gun when it is your turn to fire.
-Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
-When shooting single targets, only load one shell and only 2 if for double targets.

The shooter insists his finger was off of the trigger.
I've noted that very few shooters will admit to safety violations -- even it if was blatent. I hope there was some serious civil action.

There was a shooter at my local club a couple of weeks ago ....and his gun was intermittently firing as he closed it ...and it was doubling as well once in a while...( on a skeet field at most stations you can load 2 shells )...and after it happened a couple of times ( once firing both barrels into the grass - about 3 feet - in front of station 2 on the skeet field...)... a couple of shooters told him, he should leave the field and get the gun fixed - and he did not want to leave the field or to quit shooting - the range master was asked to intervene - and advised the shooter he would have to leave the club because his equpment was malfunctioning and creating a significant safety issue. He complained - but did leave the club.

Loading 2 shells on a singles Trap field is of course a serious rules violation vs an equipment malfunction....

but neither situation should be tolerated... ! --- they are both significant safety problems in my view. I'm glad in all of these cases noone was hurt !

I seem to be hearing about more and more shotguns in the last year or so ....that are doubling, when the trigger is only pulled once...and I think its an indication of poor quality control -either by factories, or by gunsmiths....that are not properly setting the pull weight on single trigger guns.../ on many O/U's ...if the pull weight is too close to eachother...the gun will double when the trigger is only pulled once. I think every mfg is a little differnt - and it may differ if the triggers are mechanical vs inertia ...but I think the general rule is the 2nd barrel should be about 1/4 lb heavier than the first barrel...to prevent doubling. Or it may just be a maintenance issue -- where guys are not pulling the stocks off their receivers once a year or so ...to clean them out / and they're getting a lot of blowback junk inside the receiver around the firing pin holes in the receiver.

I have several Browning O/U's ....and a couple of them, end up with a little more crud inside the receiver than the others..../ but its just a reason to pull the stocks once a year on a cold rainy day - when I don't want to go out and shoot...

Last edited:
Wait, his gun was just randomly firing when he wasn't in control of it and it didn't scare him enough to want to leave and get it taken care of?

Heck, if any of my guns popped off a round for any reason when I didn't actually pull the trigger, I'd probably **** myself. After that, I'd likely take the demon gun completely apart before putting it back in the bag and sulking off the range...

That guy should be banned from the range at the very least. Actually, it's people like this where I see the logic in more strict testing/qualification for gun owners--this guy definitely doesn't need to be anywhere near even an airsoft gun, let alone a real firearm.

PITA Does not stand for "pain in the A..." Well I'll just say backside. ;)

Its not safety first, its safety always! I don't like being the range Nazi but someone has to do it.

To the guy that refused to leave when his gun was malfunctioning... He should be banned for life for arguing. If your firearm is malfunctioning shut it down and fix it.

Boomer

I agree guys....had I been on the squad, shooting with this guy, personally - I would have just left the field until the range master resolved the issue.

I would not shoot with - or want to be around anyone - that behaved like he did.

I jump in when the official range Nazis overlook unsafe practices to the dismay of the range staff, who more often than not concentrate on ensuring that paying customers aren't upset when confronted with safety violations.

Back