pistols that shoot blanks

hoosierboy

Someone told me this, and I didn't beleive them, but They said that if you buy some of those starter pistols from the gun magazines you could drill a hole for a barrel and it would shoot like a real gun. My problem with this is first of all I dont beleive them and how do we know if the barrel is rifled and is the metal that is used to make these strong enough to hold up to normal firing?

There is no rifling in the barrel of a blank pistol (why would there be?). Most blank pistols have no barrel at all in the conventional sense. They have an escape hole at the top and the rest of the dummy "barrel" is solid.

Since a blank creates almost no pressure, the guns you see advertised are made out of cheap alloy castings that will come apart if a live cartridge were ever fired in one.

There are higher quality blank pistols, like some of the German 8mm's and the old H&R starter pistols that might be worked over, but would not be worth the trouble.

Of course, there are legal aspects, as in everything else. Converting a blank pistol would be "manufacturing a firearm" and doing so without a license would be illegal.

So, considering the possibility of being in jail and missing fingers, I would tell your friends to forget the idea. If they are too young to buy a gun and think this would be a cheap way to get one, getting a little older is even cheaper and less dangerous.

Jim

Thanx for the information I thought I was right, I don't know why someone would buy a blank pistol, I guess it is just some kind of collection piece.

Back