Pistols for Whitetail Hunting

Benoit, I have taken a few whitetails with a Super Redhawk with a 2X Leupold and 240gr JHP's. The average shot in my area is around 50 yds. or less. They drop like someone kicked the legs out from under them.

Joefo

Most important, get a gun that you feel comfortable with. A big caliber will do you no good if you can't handle the recoil. Anything at or above a 357 Magnum will work well, it is all in the shot placement. Joefo, has the right idea. When shooting a deer, the first shot has to hit the vitals and blow one or both should off. Distance is all going to depend on how good you can shot. A scope is highly recommended. Very fun and challenging way to hunt. Pre season scouting and practice is a must. Hunting by this method is by close encounter, 50 yards or less. Prior experience harvesting this close is highly recommended.

Robert

After trying a couple of revolvers, I have settled on the Thompson Contender 10" 44mag with 2X Leupold. I don't feel handicapped by single shot, since one in the right place is plenty. If weather is nasty enough to keep a scope fouled, I'll still use my .44 Ruger Bisley.

Dan Wesson 357 Mag with 8 inch barrel and 2x scope. Within 50 yards (not hard to do here in Michigan areas where I hunt), no problem.

------------------
Ron

Detroit Area Chapter
Terra-Haute Torque & Recoil Society

I used a S&W 29-3 with a 8 &3/8ths inch barrel for several years, usually with Winchester Silvertip or Federal Hydrashok.

Last spring I got a 629 Power Port with a Bausch & Lomb Elite 3000 2-6x. I have sighted it in with hydrashok rounds, but have not had any luck finding game with it. :(

Last year I used a Hunter Glock prototype in 10mm to take a couple deer, loaded with the same rounds. My wife took a large russian boar with the 10mm using a hydrashok. you can run a Search to find the link to the picture of the RT Hunter Glock.

i posted this question because i am having problems shooting a rifle. i was injured in a severe accident, and have plates and pins holding my neck together. recoil is a real problem. i have an 8+3/8 sw 629, but my interest goes out to the 200-300 yd shots- what about long range bolt action pistols ?

------------------

Can't comment on what's available in the bolts these days, but I do believe 7-08s, etc. are there.

T/C has some very nice single shots - Contender & Encore - with aftermarket bbls & calibers to beat the band. Calibers are capable to do deer (or elk - some of them) to 300 easy if you can do your part.

Coupla tricks to the Contender frames make their triggers just unbelieveable - in a good way.

A rifle cartridge handgun will buy you about another 50 yards If you get good, really good, 100 yards. So, your effective total range would be 100 to 150 yards tops.
I don't understand the long range stuff, never killed anything more than 50 yards away. been hunting almost my entire life.

Robert

Well, 41 fan ...

Can't say I'd disagree with you (all that much) but the best I've ever done with my .309JDJ Contender (2.5X8 LEO scope, 165 Barnes XBT = 2400fps MV) was a 3.5" group at 300 yds - field position = sitting & pistol propped on my knees & in the vital zone of the target. Still at 300yds this is delivering (all but) 2000 fps & 1450 ft lbs energy - enough to do any deer & suitable for elk at 250yds. The pistol's absolutely capable of it if the shooter is.

Did do a .64" 3-shot group at 200yds once off the bench (dead on & V=2110fps w/~1650ft lbs - the bullet was 165 gr Nosler Ballistic tips) ... witnessed & signed & hanging on my safe. Usually did 2+" at that range but did luck out once.

Too, to put reality in perspective, I tried to do a spike elk at about 15 yards/dark timber 1st time out with it & screwed the pooch as I had the scope's eye relief at bench conditions & couldn't find the damned elk in field conditions due to my own stupidity. Never did get the shot off 'cause I had big-time tunnel-vision thru the scope - most certainly my own fault.

A stock Encore in .308 Win (or similar)should do very well indeed for just about anything (moose included) hereabouts to 250 yds, assuming good bullet selection, proper placement.

I would agree that a .44mag/iron sights, etc's are 'bout 100yarders at best but it is truly amazing the accuracy/down-range stuff some of these later day platforms can accomplish.

& BTW 41fan, to be perfectly honest - I was so fed up with my 1st try with handguns (re that scope eye relief bit - that 1/2 sight picture of that elk is forever burned in my memory) that I haven't tried big game again with a pistol. 1st & last try for big game with a handgun. I still "bowhunt" with a rifle & other than one at 200yds, the other 6 have been at ~25 yards or under - .308 or 30-06 rifles - all in dark timber (& actually, I could have smoked all these with any .41/.44, etc revolver).

Only wanted to point out that there are available platforms available other than the traditional revolvers, etc. My T/C is certainly capable - I wasn't.

labgrade,

I always calculate in the "Excitement Factor", it cuts shooting distances in about half. Harvest lots of animals in my life, still get out of control excited when I see big game.

Had a good 500 pound bear in my sights this year. Got so excited, forgot to draw the hammer back on a new 45-70 before I pulled the trigger. Lost that opportunity. A week later, shot at a buck 3 times at point blank range before hitting the spike right next to him. During bow season, had a bull elk at about 50 yards out. Beautiful animal, the one's you only read about. I just watched him for a few hours, never bothered to even draw. My maximum shooting distance with a bow is 40 yards. At the range, it is 80 yards. Wheel guns are about 50 yards, 100 yards at the range.

Always tell people, shoot your maximum distance (the pie plate thing) and then, cut it in half. It is usually a bit more realistic. It works for me anyway. Other than a cougar that charged me this season (he took a few hits), never shot at anything that got hit and later lost it. That is, if it just did not drop dead on the spot.

Robert

Back