Pistol to SBR or Rifle to SBR?

'88Scrat

Finally scraped the money together for an MCX Spear in 7.62 NATO (this is a really expensive hobby... :D) and have known since I began saving that I ultimately wanted it in the 13" SBR configuration.

The question is how do I get there? Am I better off buying the pistol version and adding a stock after the Form 1 or am I better off buying the rifle version and swapping the barrel after Form 1 goes through?

The pistol option would be significantly cheaper but I kinda like the idea of having a 16" barrel around if I ever wanted to take it out to longer ranges.

Thoughts?

I'd go pistol and not worry about the swapping barrels criteria. It's less than 200fps difference and 16" 308 isn't exactly long range nirvana anyway.

If it were me, neither--I'd wait for the 277 fury rifle to come out--giving time for those first first in line to burn that 4 to 7K (don't know what it actually is, but it's expensive from what I've read) to have the honors of working the bleeding edge bugs out.;)

I actually ran into the Sig rep of my LGS while he was doing an event and he said that while they do plan to launch .277 to the commercial market eventually, it will probably be years before anything actually hits the shelves.

Suppose I could bide my time until the 7.62 NATO versions come down in price. But I'm not sure that'll ever happen either. I saw one once for about $500 off and it was purchased before they even put it up for sale.

After the last few comments and looking at a few videos of 13" 7.62x51 firearms maybe I'll just go with the 16" version. The blast on some of those rifles would be intense to say the least...

After the last few comments and looking at a few videos of 13" 7.62x51 firearms maybe I'll just go with the 16" version. The blast on some of those rifles would be intense to say the least...
Despite my personal comments--which are worth what you paid for them ;)--if you really want something bottom line is go for it!

If you're willing to pay the money for an SBR, then you might as well invest in a suppressor. IMO the only reason to own any SBR or semi-auto pistol shooting rifle cartridges is to use a suppressor.

The main reason for SBRs is to use in tight/close quarters. An SBR with suppressor is usually still compact enough to be used in CQ situations. Without a suppressor an SBR is deafening and ruins your vision in low light situations. Most people finding themselves needing to use a rifle or rifle cartridge pistol in CQ outside of training rarely have time to put on hearing protection.

Back