Pistol rounds in rifle

BondoBob

I have a lead on a 1894 marlin lever gun chambered in 357. I'm wondering if there are separate load data to be used when firing these pistol rounds through a rifle. I imagine slower powder might make sense with the longer barrel. But then again part of the appeal of this rifle would be to use the same rounds for both revolvers and the rifle. It will be used for hog hunting, target and (hopefully not necessary) bug-out gun.

Every loading I own or have looked at shows the same data for rifle and handgun. What you do get is more muzzle velocity with the longer rifle barrel.

Base data is the same, what you can work up to in your gun is what you can work up to in your gun.

Fast powder or slow, ALL will gain speed from the carbine barrel. Slower powders gain proportionally more.

With certain loads the .357 carbine will give 500-600fps more than the usual handgun. This can result in some bullets being overdriven and giving much different than expected performance.

Especially the 125 JHPs.

Just a quick look in my Hornady 10th edition,which separates 357 mag into rifle and handgun, shows the same max charge using h110 and a 158gr xtp.

It the case of H110/296, you are filling the case space under the bullet with a maximum 158-grain load, so you can't easily load that powder any higher for the carbine, anyway, even if it is stronger and supports the case better (which it probably doesn't).

Same load, rifle or pistol. No difference.

Mmm, yes. Technically.

The Speer and Hornady manuals have separate sections for 357 (and 44) mag rifle. I haven't done a comprehensive scan, but it appears the only difference is that the rifle sections only show the slow propellants - they omit the intermediate and fast burning propellants. Which kinda makes sense. At any rate, the charge weights for the propellants shown in both sections seem to be the same (of the ones I checked). That's important to know.

I recently (a couple years ago - that's "recently" for me ;)) purchased a Henry 357 Mag rifle. I quickly learned I should have made this purchase about three decades ago - but that's another story. Anyway, with some playing around, having fun, experimenting, and chronographing, I quickly learned that I really only have an enduring desire to shoot full-throttle 158 grainers through it. Anything else has already become rare and just for the novelty of it.

The full-throttle loading of mention here would be with W296. Yes, the charge weight well exceeds the current Speer book max; but is under the Speer #10 book max - which was the "latest" Speer manual when I developed the load (1984). Been using the same recipe ever since and seems to show no signs of excessive pressure - in any gun I shoot them through (that'd be 3 different 686's, a Python, and the Henry). I developed this load when my only 357 Mag gun was a 686 w/ 8-3/8" bbl. Through that long bbl, it shoots pretty nice. I later purchased 4" and 3" bbl 686's, and this loading is just too . . "superfluous" for these shorter bbl magnums. Since my shooting style matured to rarely shooting the 8" bbl gun, I cut way back on loading the W296 ammo - until I got the Henry. Today, I consider my W296 loading to be "Henry ammo." And everything else is for the revolvers.

So yes, it's technically "same load, rifle or pistol, no difference." But in reality, most prefer to tailor their ammo to suit the bbl length of the gun. At least, that has become my approach.

Since the pressure rating is the same for rifle and pistol, the same loads will be used where the powders are the same. SAAMI does use a longer test barrel for 44 Magnum in carbine rifles, but they don't have that addition for .357 Magnum.

This....you load for the caliber/cartridge, not the platform. The platforms are designed for the caliber/cartridge.

That's ONE way to do it. Another way is to load for the caliber/cartridge, AND the "platform" (the gun).

A couple of examples of that are "Ruger Only" .45 Colt loads, and the three tier load levels used for the different strength levels of .45-70 rifles.

The "platforms" vary. Both by design features and strengths, and as individual units. You can load to a standard that works in multiple guns in the same caliber, and its not a bad idea, but doing that leaves you unable to take fullest advantage of some guns abilities.

Both approaches have their pros and cons.

And, I would point out that every load in the manual isn't suitable for every gun out there. I've shot loads listed in the manual, same load listed in both pistol and rifle sections, there were not suitable for all the guns I had. Shot a hot .357 load from a K frame, and N frame, a Desert Eagle, and a Marlin carbine. Fine is the big guns and the carbine, the K frame needed to have the empties driven out of the chambers. Was smart enough not to even try that load in a J frame gun.

If you have guns that cover a wide range of capabilities to feed, loading rounds that work is all of them is a good practice, ensuring you won't get the "wrong" ammo in the wrong gun. Lowest common denominator works.

Tailoring ammo to each specific guns strengths and weaknesses requires more work, and keeping ammo segregated for safety reasons, for some of its the way to go.

As UN stated SAAMI specs are just that. Don't fall into the "the rifle will take a higher pressure load" trap. You'll eventually load the rifle load into the pistol and you will not like the results.

Contrary to what common sense tells you, one of the most accurate loads I’ve had at 50 yds was with Titegroup. It also shot great in my revolvers. I never checked it in a chrono but accuracy was great. I’ve never tried it beyond 50yds though.

Last edited:
Although the loading manual may list the same powder charge and bullet the velocity from a 20" rifle barrel (1650 fps )will be greater than a 7.5" pistol barrel (1200 fps) with no other changes in your load .
And you may pick up greater velocity ... I only looked at one load with one powder and one bullet ... the rifle can make a ho-hum revolver load shine !
Gary

Back