Pistol or Magazine Problem?

Tony C

All,

I tried this in the Semi-Automatic forum, and didn't get any ideas. I'm hoping this is a better forum.

I am having a major failure in my 1911.

On Saturday the 28th (March), I took my DW CBOB to an USPSA match where I ran about 200 rounds through it with zero issues. This is a seven year old firearm and I have never had a problem with it. I was using a mix of magazines from Chip McCormick, Wilson Combat, Dan Wesson, and Kimber. All worked without a hitch, loading each to it's eight round limit.

Seven days later, 4/4, I took the same equipment to an IDPA match and was forced to withdraw. Again, loading each magazine to their eight round capacity and with a round in the chamber to start, when I would fire the pistol the slide would go back and the magazines would fall out. This happened every time I fired the pistol.

Since, I have tested the magazines, and three of the six failed to stay in the gun when I fired the round in the chamber and when eight rounds were in the magazines. If I used those same magazines with just six rounds, they seem to work fine.

Here are some things you need to know:
1) This is my daily concealed carry weapon. For carry I never load to eight rounds, I keep them all to seven (with one in the chamber).
2) I have used these magazines in probably 50 or more USPSA matches without a hitch loading to their full capacity of eight.
3) The rounds are my hand-loads, the same bullets, primers, and powder (make and grains) I have used for a very long time, so there isn't a difference there.
4) I am a very experienced shooter, so I checked to see if the failure was user-error; stray thumbs on slide-lock or mag release, etc., but it is not. The failure happens when shooting with two hands and in one-handed fire.
5) I had just replaced the recoil spring for the IDPA match, so I figured that was the problem. I put the old spring from the match on the 28th back in (3,000 ish rounds), and the problem repeated, just as with the new spring.
6) I took the grips off and did a thorough cleaning of the area around the magazine release inside the pistol, that didn't affect change.

Have you ever seen or heard of this problem? It cropped up so fast, and with multiple magazines. I am at a loss. I can take it to a gunsmith, but if I can find help here I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Tony

Sounds like a magazine problem to me. I have some old GI magazines, one I cannot load with more than 5 rounds, another requires some effort to seat in my Colt Mk IV and AMT Hardballer.
You said this is your daily carry weapon and your reloads. I would try some factory ammunition.

Compare the magazine catch cutout in the magazine tube against a Colt or GI magazine. The cutout could be too low. I worked on three Para-Ord mags that would not lock into some Israeli made polymer-frame double stack 1911. The Para-Ord mags as made were fine, but the mag release button on that Israeli made frame was moved slightly higher so as to encourage the sales of proprietary magazines. The cut out for the mag catch holes were enlarged so as to work on the Para-Ord magazines.

BTW, does your 1911 drop the mags when you use Colt or USGI mags?

Did you look at the magazine catch? It could be either worn out or broken and barely holding
the magazines,then when the slide hits the frame the impact may cause to loosen the lock.

It sounds like the magazine catch is not engaging completely. Check the fit to the magazines and spring strength.

My first thought would also be magazine catch. At $8-$30 for a replacement, id peraonally just get a new one, maybe even a fancy one with an oversized button. If it fixes it, youre done. If not, you have an upgrade for competition and can keep looking for the cause.

I do not fire many rounds.
When I get a failure to feed or jam, I cycle ammo through in slow motion and look for a hang up.
It is usually MY handloads that cause the trouble. They have a bulge somewhere or are too wimpy.

Back