Pistol Grip Shotgun? Purpose?

stonewall50

Personally for home defense I want a stock. But what is the point of the pure pistol grip? Does it provide and edge? Just concealment? Anyone have experience?

I don't know how much concealment has to do with it. Easier to store in a vehicle or something if that's what you mean. Just more maneuverable in general, whether it's moving around indoors or being easier to access in a truck. And the lighter weight might have some value as a defense gun in bear territory maybe... a situation in which a gun will be carried a lot and fired seldom.

I wouldn't own a PGO shotgun. The advantages wouldn't outweigh the disadvantages for me. If size and weight were a major priority, I'd opt for a handgun instead.

Looks cool in the movies and video games.

Brings a higher price for the gun store.

More patients for orthopedic doctors.

Shoots more buckshot than any other gun

I like the idea of a pistol grip for a shorter HD shotty, but I've never had one because I would think it would be a hand punisher.

I wouldn't mind trying a birdshead type grip.

I tried various pistol grips on my Mossberg 500 over the years, and didn't find them nearly as bad to shoot as they are painted to be.
I used to keep it in a place which wouldn't accommodate a longer shotgun.
The best IMHO is the birdshead style. Recoil control and pointability is superior.
However, I have since gone to the Hogue 12" lop stock as the best balance of length to usefulness.

Like someone else mentioned, recoil is no where near as bad as most think. I don't own one but they are fun range toys. I've also always wanted like in the movie Gator. If I could afford to do an SBS and be patient enough for the paper work I'd have one.

An interesting fact is that if your PG shotgun has NEVER had a shoulder stock put on it- as long as the overall length is 26", the barrel length doesn't matter under current ATF ruling. My Mossberg PGO cruiser with 18" bbl measures 28" from the factory. If I was so inclined, I could legally, without a tax stamp, cut the barrels to 16". :eek:
Also, these PG shotguns that have never had a shoulder stock can be converted to AOW status, rather than SBS status (with tax stamp.) It still costs $200 to MAKE the gun, but subsequent sales would only be taxed at $5.

Be sure to check with ATF before doing any of the things I mentioned. I'm not an attorney.

Personally if I were told "you have to have a pistol grip shotgun" it would be in 20 gauge. Not too small. Not too big. And I think I'd want the double pistol grip (I don't know what that front stock grip is called).

Thanks for the answers guys. I've been curious. Just keep seeing them in pictures and such (breaching tools and so on).

My view on the PGO shotgun is that it is a specialty tool. Either because a stocked SG wont fit where you need it to or as a ultra tight CQB weapon. You can use it ALMOST anywhere you can go with a pistol and have better fight stopping ability.

Recoil is not bad if the shooting session is kept short and with low recoil buckshot loads its not unpleasent over the course of 20 rounds or so. Enough to pattern and test POA/POI and stay current with the little beast.

I dont think its a great fighting set up, but its not bad if used inside its niche.

I personally would use a SBS with a short LOP stock in its place, but im strange like that. :cool:

Pistol Grip Shotgun? Purpose?

(1.) Pistol grip shotguns appeal to persons who have watched too many movies.
(2.) They make money for people who manufacture shotgun pistol grips

A PG shotgun is not as easily controlled as one with a buttstock, which can be stabilized by being tucked under your arm. There is very little "tactical" about them.

If your choice for home defense is a shotgun, a short barreled pump is your best bet.

All the hoo-ha about maneuverability in tight spaces is for police officers and urban military actions, and, quite frankly is baloney for typical home defense situations; It's for those that have fantasies about being in "tactical" situations.

(1.) Pistol grip shotguns appeal to persons who have watched too many movies.

(2.) They make money for people who manufacture shotgun pistol grips

A PG shotgun is not as easily controlled as one with a buttstock, which can be stabilized by being tucked under your arm. There is very little "tactical" about them.

If your choice for home defense is a shotgun, a short barreled pump is your best bet.

All the hoo-ha about maneuverability in tight spaces is for police officers and urban military actions, and, quite frankly is baloney for typical home defense situations; It's for those that have fantasies about being in "tactical" situations.

Well that's been my understanding is that it is pretty much a Leo/military only as far as its "niche." As others put out there...where it is carried more than shot.

Iv seen a few Military personel that carried one in a scabard on thier molle vest to use breacher rounds . Iv never seen Law Enforcement use one .
To me they are not practical , if someone likes the idea go for it . Extra training may be in order .

No matter the bore size, you'd be more effective with any of them if they had a shoulder stock on them....... ;)

No matter the bore size, you'd be more effective with any of them if they had a shoulder stock on them....... ;)

Well sure, but if the gun fills a niche role...what would be the best caliber for said role? Reduction in caliber may change the equation on it being too strong.

A little long, but this is not quite a pistol grip, but it applies I think ;)

I love this guys vids. Idk. I still want my stock (likes youth model) if I'm gonna use a shotgun inside.

Back when my buddy and I were experimenting with pgo shotguns, we used to have shooting matches with them at 25yds...using full power slugs. We were using standard silouette targets, and had to aim about where the feet would be to hit center chest. Got pretty good at it.
Really, within 25yds, making hits with buck or slug wouldn't be hard at all.
They didn't have reduced recoil loads back then. I'm sure those would be great in a pgo.
I'm sure plenty of people would dislike my 12" LOP stock too.

Back