Pistol grip or conventional stock on a Benelli M1 Super 90????

HunterWarrior

What are advantages and disadvantages with both types of stocks? I'm taking a Combat Shotgun class from Louis Awerbuck and I need to know which stock to put on my gun for this class.

Thanks

HW

It is my understanding that you can put the magazine extension on the standard-stocked gun, because it has one less "evil feature." Having three more cartriges in the tube might be a useful tradeoff for the lack of a pistol grip.

I've taken a class which taught transitions from shotgun to handgun. The pistol grip got caught on my belt several times, and it was much more clunky when slung.

I also found it easier to manipulate the safety during drills with the conventional stock, and I have large hands.

After the class, the pistol grip went up in the closet.

[Edited by CIDGRAD87 on 04-14-2001 at 02:04 PM]

I put a standard stock on my postban so that I could use the extended mag tube. When shooting trap, I find I'm a little quicker on target with the standard stock. Also quicker for me to shoulder (pocket is more pronounced than with PG) and acquire the sights.

I second CIDGRAD87. I ended up taking the pg off my B M1 S90, primarily because it is a bit slower off the sling and secondarily to allow the extended mag tube to be added legally. BTW, have you had a L. Awerbuck class before? If not, I am sure you will enjoy it.

I buddy of mine has a M1 with pistol grip, I've got a M1 Field. After shooting the two side-by-side I can say I don't care for the p.g. at all. It looks cool but recoil was more pronouced, painful even, after shooting about 20 rds my wrist was sore. -- Kernel

I have to defend the PG, for I have both stocks and find my self using the PG w/5rd mag a lot more often than the standard w/ 7rd mag. I find the standard stock has my wrist at a odd angle, which makes it sore carrying the shotgun at the ready for anything other than a short period of time. Then again I am a younger shooter who has spent much more time shooting military style semi autos than I have the old traditional models.

I like the straight stock. The ghost ring doesn't line up right for my eyes with the PG. It does with the straight stock. And there is less stuff hanging off the piece to get hung up on something.

The pistol grip is primarily for LEO entry guns, room clearing, etc. where having a hand free to open doors while keeping the gun shouldered is an advantage. For a home defense gun where you might need to have a hand free to use the phone, hold a child, or whatever, and still keep the gun shouldered may come in handy. However, they are slower than a straight stock to mount and acquire multiple targets. I just returned from the 3-Gun Nationals last week and the top shooters did not use the pistol grip because they thought they were slower. I guess it comes down to what do you prefer. A little faster or easier to move around with a hand free.

86 the PG...

I also much prefer the standard stock. I found it much faster to bring the weapon up to the ready position with the straight stock. Also, if you have a post-ban weapon you are "allowed" :rolleyes: the extra 2 rounds in the tube magazine.

Another thing I did waas to add a Pachmayr Decellerator recoil pad. We all know how much the Benelli's kick like mules. The pad allows me to shoot 200+ rounds a day with no after-effects.

CMOS

The PG is cool looking. Get the standard stock, it's a lot more handy - for all the reasons everybody said.

Back