"Pistol Barrel - life span"

Status
Not open for further replies.

stdalire

I am just a mere user and I just want to know if a "a Pistol Barrel has limit nos. of shots to make it unusable" or when it reached a certain nos. of bullets fired, then it will just burst or explode. I ask this question, because if I am really fond of shooting and I reach a certain point without my knowhow that the pistol I have is only good for a 2000, 3000 or more rounds. If it does, then a pistol barrel has a life span.

------------------
Sonny Torres Dalire

I have never heard of a handgun from a reputable manufacturer having a barrel life before "exploding or bursting". I have heard of barrels wearing out or losing their MATCH usefulness. At one time, the Mod.1911A1 used by the U.S. Army Marksmanship Team was considered to have a useful MATCH life of 5000 rounds with hardball ammunition. With lead bullets, the MATCH life would be almost infinity. This is the MATCH life we are talking about here. Even after the MATCH life is over, the barrel will not explode or burst. It will just have lost some accuracy.
Barrels of handguns subjected to abuse or overloading of ammo are subject to failure, but that is another story. The bottom line is to go ahead and shoot your handgun to your hearts content and don't worry about a time limited designed blowup. Quantrill

Mr. Quantrill, I am educated with your professional advise and I believe it. I am only confused because if someone purchased even the latest 1911 models, still there are offers of Match Grade barrels,(so I have the question in mind - what is the degree of difference then). Does it means that if I bought a 1911 model having no match grade barrel specified, it is inferior than the one having so called match grade barrel? am just inquiring. But with your advise, I will be contented with my existing M1991A1 Stainless model.
Thank you sir.

Barrel life depends a lot on the kind of ammo used. With GI Ball ammo, the barrel life of a .45 auto is usually 5000 rounds or less before accuracy is gone. There are reports of .38 target revolvers, firing low pressure rounds with lead bullets, going as high as 100,000 rounds and still retaining good accuracy. .22 pistol barrels almost never wear out; more are ruined in cleaning than in shooting. A worn barrel won't blow up; it just won't shoot accurately any more.

As to match barrels, the term "match grade", even when used accurately (it is often just advertising hype), refers to accuracy, not safety. A match grade is more carefully made and more tightly held to specifications. In guns like the Model 1911/A1 types, it is usually larger in some outside dimensions so it can be fitted to the gun in which it will be used.

A note on production. All machined metal products, like guns, are made with cutting tools which wear as they cut the metal. A manufacturer sets a tolerance level for something like a chambering reamer. It is made to the largest size allowed and it is rehoned as it is used until it reaches the lowest size of hole allowed, when it is discarded. So, brand new barrels and chambers vary in dimensions. In the gun field, a standards institute, SAAMI, sets tolerances for chambers, ammo, loading dies, etc.

The point of all this is that match grade barrels are not allowed as wide a tolerance, so tools are discarded oftener, and so the barrels are more costly.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited September 05, 1999).]

I think you asked what the difference in accuracy is between a factory barrel and a match barrel. The factory barrel will shoot a 16 inch group or less at 50 yards. A match barrel properly fitted will group 3" or less at 50 yards.

If a revolver barrel gets worn out it there anything that can be done to fix it or to change the barrel? Also how long would it take to wear out a .357 revolver's barrel?

cnemeth, with the revolver a gunsmith, or the factory can change the barrel. With a steady diet of magnum loads, you will probably erode the forcing cone fairly quickly (within 10,000rds at least, likely sooner). With light loads it will last virtually forever.

------------------
Arizona Morgan, The Official Armchair Warrior

Mr. Jim Keenan, thanks for expounding my inquiry giving some technicalities how a non-match barrel is differentiated from Match Grade one,(this is related to many advertisement of high velocity bullets which user is confused which one is to select). Now, it lessen my appetite of always looking for the best barrel of a pistol and give my heart content not being hesitant to use my pistol for shooting and side arm purposes. In fact, I have mind reservation keeping two pistol for shooting and for side arm. Why don't I use only one for shooting sport and at the same time for side arm, for if we just have a pistol for side arm different than that we use always for shooting practice, then it will be a disadvantage. Let say, I am used to one pistol for shooting and I tuck-in another one for daily use. I will not be as familiar or proficient with the pistol I only use for daily task than that one I usually used in shooting. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back