Pig hunters: Whats most pigs you’ve killed in “1 inning”

TXAZ

For those that haven’t gone feral hog hunting, as soon as you pull the trigger, all the pigs take off in a as many directions.
Obviously it’s not difficult to get 1 hog, but what’s the most you’ve killed (personally, not your coordinated 20-man Hog SWAT team) from a static hunting position in “1 inning” (within a minute) of the first shot? Day or night. No vehicle hunting.

That’s exactly right. You pull that trigger on a group of pigs, mayhem will quickly ensue.

Myself wouldn’t take a shot on a running pig at night anyway. I want to know for sure what lies behind it. Night vision and thermal hunters would be ok.

I’ve killed 25 in a day with the combination of traps and actually hunting one or two in the same outing.

Where I hunt them, it is damn near impossible to get 2 in one sit.

I did get 2 one day as they were very closely lined up, but not in a row.

I don't think anyone could do it with a bolt gun. I usually use a handgun.

We hunt wild hogs in Florida year round. But I have never been able to topple more than one from my shooting positions. I own several good rifles, but I typically hunt hogs with my Mossberg 30-30 carbine.

Jack

Going by 1 inning (which I assume to explicitly mean one hunting event/one group), hunting alone, I believe my high would be 4. With a partner, I think my max number to be 7 where mine were distinct from what my partner was shooting.

Making a good stalk and having a wide open field with a good backstop goes a LONG ways to making multiple shots possible. I have been on a lot of sounders where I only manage to drop one or two (and only get to make 1-3 shots) because of safety issues (livestock and structures) and limited fields of fire (hogs disappear into tree line within seconds).

i've lucked out twice and got three. One time i did a twofer on sows standing side by side and got one running away. Another time i killed one under the feeder, and killed two running away. One was a "Texas heart shot" with 150 grain .30 caliber Barnes Triple Shock.

Thanks gentlemen. I expected it was 1 shot, 1 kill, dozens scared and scattered.
Let them regroup over the next 1-2 hours and hope you get another shot.

Hogs as individuals and as groups will all have different personalities. Sometimes you can shoot one, let them scatter and regroup and they will come back. Sometimes you take one shot at them and they scatter and regroup but don't come back for two weeks. Hogs that apparently have not been hunted before tend to scatter less and sometimes you can pick off multiple individuals before they move away too far. Using a suppressor helps because you aren't making nearly as much scary loud noise, but even with suppressor, sometimes they run away and don't come back. Slow fire with a suppressor is a whole lot less frightening than rapid fire unsuppressed and can be more productive than shooting a lot, and it can be less productive. It just depends on how the hogs react.

1... that was enough dragging to the truck, hauling back, and cleaning for me at a time.

If I had access to an area where I could drive the truck up to them to load, I’d have probably taken more.

89CYbXXl.jpg

I sorta prefer a different approach to quantity. In the traps mean I can deal with more of them in actual daylight for one thing. I still pop some at night just for fun but that's usually one at a time and trying to deal with it all in the dark by myself gets to be a chore for an old timer like me.

kenny53:

Here in Texas you can make it happen. All sorts of outfits cater to every sort of hog hunting you can imagine.

For instance, my dad limped a lot before his knee replacement. My son and I got to walk to our blinds, but the guide saw my dad limping and told him to hop into his 2-man ATV and off he went. Curbside service!

Back