Pietta Tail

detroiter711

Inactive
I am interested in picking up a Pietta 1851 Navy. I have heard that they now have the correct grip geometry and no longer have the flared "tail" at the base of the grip. Is this the case? Anyone recently pick one up from Cabelas?

I bought a Pietta G&G (date code CN: 2015) from Cabela's just after Christmas that does not have the "tail".

I bought a Pietta 1851 Navy steel (date code CM: 2014) from Cabela's the previous Christmas that has the "tail".

The trigger guards, backstraps, and wood are not interchangeable between the parts but the 3 pieces as a set will fit either pistol (hope that makes sense).

Jim

My 2015 G&G does not have it. I have seen pics of 51's that have a less pronounced tail but are not as straight down the back as the G&G. Seems like since it's basically the same frame as the 51 only in brass they would all be the same.

This is the 2014 Pietta Navy trigger guard with the 2015 Pietta G&G backstrap shown for comparison. The G&G TG has much less curve to the frontstrap, and 1851 backstrap is much longer (front to back) with a different curve along the rear.

Please disregard the spurious screw as these pieces are now "spare" parts. My 1851 Navy now has a squareback TG (from Taylor's) and the G&G has a backstrap (from VTI: ordered as a backstrap for a Pietta 1860, but not sure if that is what I received) with no divot for a shoulder stock.

Edit: Looking back through my records, I did indeed order said backstrap from VTI, not Taylor's.

Jim

003_zpsuxz4cf4q.jpg

GampG%20TG%20BS%20004_zpswjkasmkx.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe let me put this forward into the future.

Just conjecture:

Pietta has been reading these several forums and has seen that most folks don't like the Pietta "tail" insofar as an accurate replica pistol. I do believe that Pietta did the infamous tail so as not to inflame the original (1920-1950's) Colt collectors and not to produce a replica that could easily be constructed as a spurious fake, defarbed or not..

Vis a vis, voila, the Pietta G&G appears in 2015 with a completely different grip/TG/backstrap arrangement. I see no other Pietta pistols having that arrangement. Correct me if I am wrong. You have seen my pics.

Jim

I've seen original '51s with the tail. Anyway, one of our Griswolds with the tail is one of our family's most favorite, best point shooting sixgun in our stable. Another is our C-series '51 Navy without it! :rolleyes:

@l.cutler
Very interesting, does anyone know if the newer parts are available anywhere?

I edited my post (#5) to show that the backstrap ordered from VTI last year was in fact a Pietta 1860 Army backstrap and associated parts ( https://vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=70&cat=Pietta+1860+Army+1861+Navy , Part #'s 8, 11, and 26). It interchanges perfectly with the original backstrap from my 2015 [CN] Pietta G&G except it does not have the divot for the shoulder stock on the bottom, which makes it more historically correct. I did not order a TG or grip.

So, that begs the question: Is Pietta now marketing the 1851 Navy (and the G&G) with the 1860 TG/BS/Grip?

@wcandres
My 1851, purchased in April, 2015 (from Sportsman's Warehouse) does not have the "tail".

Can you let us know the date code? Does it have the shoulder stock divot?

More Q's than A's on my part. :D

Jim

Is Pietta now marketing the 1851 Navy (and the G&G) with the 1860 TG/BS/Grip?

No because the 1860 grip frame is longer than the navy frame and my G&G and older 51 are the same length.

Hawg, good to know. Thanks.

I'm just looking for a common denominator for this question.

I find it hard to believe that Pietta retooled for these newer 1851 and G&G pistols without using existing parts stocks. Heck, they have not updated their website since 2008.

I dunno.

Jim

I guess it depends upon what one calls correct. I have many pics of original Colt 1851 pistols that show different backstrap/grip profiles, depending upon whether it was a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th model Hartford, or a London model of different variations.

I challenge any here to produce a "true" 1851 grip frame profile based upon historical writings. One might refer to the illustrations in Nathan L. Swayze's " '51 Colt Navies" and take a peek. That book is considered a great reference insofar a the original Colt 1851 Navy is concerned.

There are even more profound differences between the various Dragoon models. Colt changed things with his pistols as he saw fit as a business venture. He did not worry about what we would perceive 150 years into the future.

If you venture into the realm of the 1848/1849 Pocket pistols, you will realize that during the changeover between models that Colt wasted not a single part insofar as producing any pistols that would sell on the market, regardless of whether it fit our modern day effort trying to categorize which pistol is correct or incorrect. For more concise information about these little guys, I recommend obtaining a copy of P.L. Shumaker's excellent treatise. It is definitely an eye-opener insofar as parts usage at the Colt factory.

I guess it is what ever trips your trigger...

Jim

I modded my old style frames, all are slightly different need trial and checking frequently. Slight variations don't matter as your hand fits many slight contoursGrip thickness varies and each requires individual attntion. my standard Navy model was thick and barely needed. Contouring it came out best of all!
Glad they reshape do yhe new grip frames!

Colt did change up the grip frames here and there and yes some do have a slight flare on the back strap but none that I can remember seeing were as extreme as a Pietta grip.

This is my 2015 G&G and my 2011 51. I like the G&G grip much better. The 51 grip is ok and feels pretty good in the hand but that G&G feels so much better.

Back