Pietta Remington 1858 New Model Army Target

Rookie21

I will be picking up one of those Pietta Remington 1858 New Model Army Target models soon. A basic Remy with factory target adjustable sights. Cabelas sells them but I'm getting one from Dixie Gun Works I believe. Does anyone have experience with this model at 25 and 50 yards and could you share the accuracy you were able to get out of it? How's the build quality? Chambers line up good? Timing good? Load recommendations?

Funny both Dixie and Cabelas says use a .454 ball but I've seen a lot of suggestions saying either (454 or 457). What would be the difference in using one or the other? I thought the gun would've been chambered for specifically one size ball.

Use the .454 ball. First thing measure the twist. If it is a older one say a few
years old it will have a 1-30 twist. If your lucky and get one of the newer ones,
it will have a 1-16 twist which is what you want. Also check the forcing cone
to see if it is cut right. Very easy to cut. Then check each chamber alignment
to the barrel. Replace nipples with the brass color Ampco. If everything is in
tune, it just might shoot.

The Shooters Model as shown in the link I posted above. I have one. It is dead on at 25 yards. I had a "Target" model Pietta Remington with adjustable sights back in the 1980s and early '90s, no more accurate than a standard Pietta with fixed sights.

I have a Pietta Shooters model. It's a very nice revolver for "as issued" matches, but I need an "unlimited" revolver. I had one on loan but it's now all shot out. Lead shaving and timing issues. My own unlimited revolver is being worked on and won't be ready by the time the Nationals roll around in September. So I thought maybe the pietta target model with an adjustable rear sight might be sufficient.

Kwhi43 The Remington target model is listed with Dixie as having a 1:30 twist. The "shooters" model also has a 1:30 twist however it's a gain twist. Will a stock target model be capable of holding 9 and 10 ring at 50 yards?

Last edited:
I would say no. At 25 it will be OK, but not at 50. Borrow a Ruger. If I was
going I would loan you mine.

Ruger's are too heavy. I'll just have to make surey only low scoring target is the 50 yard slow fire with the revolver.

I only need to keep em 5.5" with occasional shot tight than that at 50 yards. I'm sure with today's tech even the affordable repro's with the right load ought to be capable of that surely....?

Last edited:
Hey Phil

Would you please explain how to check the chamber alignment, and what am I looking for on the forcing cone ? I did check the bore, mine is a 1 in 16" twist.

TIA,
Rich

Most Pietta 1858 models use a .454 round ball, but maillemaker may have been thinking of the Pietta "Shooters" target model which does use a .457 ball.

Mine will shoot .454 and shave a ring as it should, but it will also shoot .457, with pretty good accuracy. Since my Uberti Walker requires .457, I now shoot .457 in everything.

It just shaves a bit more lead going in the cylinder.

Steve

Since my Uberti Walker requires .457, I now shoot .457 in everything.

Actually I do too. I just assumed from his initial posts that he was literally a rookie to cap and ball shooting, turns out he is a target shooter.

Some time ago I started off with "rookie" not knowing how far down the rabbit hole Id go..., I'm 27 years old and won the 2015 NRA National Championship in June. The NMLRA Nationals in September is my next goal.

Good for you! You are the same age as my son and I got him hooked on black powder shooting as a teenager. Didn't realize that you were a competition shooter until I read your later posts.

Back