Pietta problem

drdirk

I recently purchased a Stainless Steel 1858 Remington and have had a number of problems So far I have only shot it two rounds when the lever arm / spring broke. Since I had NO help from Cabelas, I decided to just go ahead an purchase a replacement arm / spring from VTI as suggested in this Forum by a very helpful poster! After installing and reassembly, I now have another problem. The Revolver will not Cock past the first notch with the cylinder installed. I am not an expert, but I believe all is correctly assembled and without the cylinder the revolver cocks fine. I have taken it apart numerous times. If I leave out the cylinder lock just as a test, it works fine so I think it has to do with the trigger assembly somehow. Can anyone email me a PDF file with the assembly instructions so I can check everything again? Any other suggestions. If I can not get it working, am thinking of sending it to the factory for repair if this is possible.
Thanks so much for any suggetions!

rddirk: I have disassembly/assembly instructions including an "explosion" drawing at home. I hope, I don't forget it tomorrow, than I'll scan you the stuff as a jpeg in high resolution (I think it's better than pdf for printing).

thanks

If you have the instructions, that would be great! Too bad Pietta does not have a download like ruger or most other fireams companies. Pietta, are you listening ;)

It sounds like the cylinder is binding either on the forcing cone or the recoil shield, probably due to a cylinder pin problem. The original 1858 Remington has alway had a problem with bent cylinder pins caused by the being quite small in diameter as compared to Colts. Cock the gun and watch for the cylinder hitting the forcing cone or recoil shield, then pull the cylinder pin out and check for straightness.

Hope this helps! :)

It could be that the new hand is long and not mating with the cylinder ratchet well.
hammerhand.jpg

If you still have the old hand assembly, you may be able to compare and match the parts by stoning. Some times it is difficult to determine by eyeball whether the parts are the same thickness or not. A cheap chinese caliper is very useful. Replacement parts are usually overlarge in some dimensions and require fitting.

The sort of indiffence to customer support is the historic norm for replica producers and distributors. It makes you wonder how much bigger the interest in these guns would be if all of the companies involved had shown the interest that Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor and the various Pedersoli outlets now display.

it was the hand!

MEC, you were correct, it was the hand that was just a bit too long. Thanks to your suggestion, I took the hand out again and noticed the original hand was grind down just a bit on one side. I tried to do the same on the new hand and now the revolver will cock again! So, thanks to all of the suggestions, I am back in business. Put in some caps and the all went off!!

Cheers!

Back