Pietta 1860 Army and Howell Conversion

Tidewater_Kid

So the wife purchased me a Howell 5 shot conversion for my 1860 Army for my birthday last month. After about 60 rounds, I noticed the collars are loose and the firing pins at peened in places. I have never dried fired the cylinder. I noticed that the hammer has a notch in it on the face. Could this be causing this?

TK

I'm not sure that the notches are exactly the same on different models or brands, but I would look closely at the hammer notch and compare it to the firing pins.

I don't have a conversion cylinder so I don't know how they wear in. You would think that they would be hard as a cone, but then the cone is protected by a cap when it is fired.

Some of the guys fill in the hammer notch and it works with caps. Maybe that would be something that might help on the firing pins. I have not done that and don't really know how JB weld would hold up after repeated firings. But it's a thought.

I'm sure that you will get some more opinions.
FRN

I should have added some pictures. I have removed the loading lever and latch. Just need to find a blank.

The cylinder pictures are after three range sessions. Like I said no dry firing.

Just to make it easier.
attachment.php

I would really value some opinions. I have had a R&D in my Pietta 1858 Remington for 10 years and the pins still look fine.

TK

Attachments

• 1860_army-1.JPG
    1860_army-1.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 28
  • 1860-Howell-1.JPG
    1860-Howell-1.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 377
  • 1860-Howell-2.JPG
    1860-Howell-2.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Thanks for the response foolzrushn. I was wondering about the notch. I was wondering if the pins themselves might not be hardened properly. Like I said, my R&D backplate still looks perfect after about 10 years of use.

TK

Does anyone have experience with these? I figured with the collective knowledge here someone would know something about these conversions.

TK

I don't have any experience with the 1860 version, but I have an R&D cylinder (marketed by Taylor's) made by Kenny Howell that I bought well over 10 years ago for my .36 Pietta 1858 Remington. I have only put about 2,000 rounds through it in that time as I don't shoot it that much but shown below is a recent pic of it.

Not sure what is wrong with yours, but my guess is that your hammer spring is too heavy and needs to be lightened.

Kenny Howell, who designed and originally sold these cylinders sold his patent to Taylor's a few years ago, but he still makes slightly different versions and you can buy new firing pins, said to be better than the originals here:

http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/howell-312firingpin.aspx

14e2r84.jpg

Last edited:
Bishop Creek,

That was very helpful! Thank you!

My 1858 R&D from Taylor's 10 years ago still looks like yours. I will try the replacement pins in the 1860 one I have now.

TK

Try lightening your hammer. With cap and ball, you need a heavy blow to ignite the percussion cap, but with cartridges you only need a light hit on the firing pins to fire the cartridge.

TK,
You don't need too much force to fire a cartridge. I have an R&D cylinder in my 5 1/2" Pietta Remie and my hammer draw is 3 1/2 lbs max. In fact, when I loosen the tension screw for the main spring, it falls out.

My firing pins are in perfect shape.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

I was looking at the Wolff springs for the 1860. I keep the 1858 mainspring fairly light and I've never had a problem peening the firing pins. The 1860 Army doesn't have that easy adjustment.

TK

Back