Pietta 1858 SS or Nickel Plated...how can I tell

CAS_Shooter

Inactive
I just purchased a used New Army 1858 and was told that it is the all stainless steel model. However, I now see that Pietta also makes a nickel plated 1858 8" 44 cal model which looks the same but has a brass frame.

I am concerned that the one I purchased may in fact be the nickel plated model instead of the SS model. I understand the brass frame model is lower cost. Anyone know how I ca tell if my revolver frame is SS or nickel plated? Is there any simple test I can run on the frame to see if it is SS or nickel plating?

I did not get the box with the gun.

A fair number of the nickel plated guns are brass framed. Take a magnet to the frame. If there is attraction it surely isn't brass or nickeled brass. However, not all stainless alloys are magnetic but polished steel will be magnetic. It can look like stainless or nickeled.

The steel parts inside of the frame can also create a light attraction.
I don't believe that Pietta uses non-magnetic stainless but then I'm not sure.
I would do a comparative test with other stainless parts such as with the barrel to see if the degree of magnetism is equal across the board.
Also, Pietta may be able to verify if it has a brass frame or not if you email them the serial number.

Back