pietta 1851 no longer cycles after replacing nipples

Hey guys, wonder if any one knows what it did wrong ?
I just took my pistol apart to put in new nipples. But now the hammer doesn't pull fully, it moves a fraction of an inch and stops, then I release and pull again, then it cocks. Does that every time ?
Before I took it apart, cycled perfect, now it's only half perfect ugh. Any clue why it would do that ?

This is the first time I've taken it apart too :-/
Maybe the cylinder isn't in the right place or something ?

Thanks

I think I may have fixed it. Someone will need to tell me if it's the right way or not ?
Half cock to slide on the cylinder, then full cock and then aline the nipple directly in line with hammer, lower the hammer while keeping the cylinder against the frame. re-insert the barrel assembly.

Sounds like the OP had the gun all apart and got the cylinder stop (bolt) spring in wrong so the bolt is not engaging with the cam on the hammer. That keeps the bolt from being retracted and the hammer won't cock.

Jim

I just took apart the barrel and cylinder so I could put in the replacement nipples. The Pietta manual doesn't explain well what positions everything needs to be in.

I just put the gun on half cock, drop the cylinder on and install the barrel. I pay no attention to what position the cylinder is in. I agree with Jim, I think something is screwy with the bolt spring. BTW you should never lower the hammer from half cock but that's just to keep from scoring the cylinder with the bolt.

Think I need to learn some terminology like bolt-spring. Guess I'll check out the parts diagrams.

I'll do another dissassembly this morning to double check everything.

Thanks guys.

If you have never taken it apart more than the barrel and cylinder off you need to open her up and clean the internals.
I just bought a used '51 that when I opened it there were 3 squashed caps it!

Found the problem. I think the threaded part of the new nipples are a smidge longer than the factory ones. The chamber threads on three of the chambers were only deep enough for the factory nipples, so the new ones didn't screw down as far, thereby impeding the action. So I un-tightened and re-tightened the problem ones and there was a little more give on the threads and the screwed in further. I've since pulled the upgraded nipples, cleaned and oiled, re-seated the new nipples and the action is fine on all six chambers.

Yes the grip length on some makes nipples differ. I think the cylinder threads go all of the way to the chamber, but if exposed to the powder charge they will need to be cleaned be for nipples with longer thread will bottom out.
I would run one of the old nipples in and check it against the length of the new ones.
I had a nipple that was too long and the cap hit the frame with the recoil and caused a multiple discharge, no damage but extra smoke and lead flying.

If the hammer can't go down far enough the bolts leg can't get back on top the hammer cam that works the bolt. Bolt can't be moved by the hammer cam unless the bolt leg is back on the top of the cam.
No bolt movment then no cylinder or hammer movement.

That's something that has to be given some attention when changing cones/nipples.

Back