Pietta 1851 Colt First Impressions

magickal1

Inactive
A hardy greeting to all. I am a very new to this forum but not all that new to BP shooting. My first BP that i picked up was on my way out of the Navy exchange some 20 years ago at the end of my enlistment. I though, "Gee a kit I can build my self, how hard can this be?"

It was a CVA rendition of the 1861 Navy Colt in .44 After a few dozen hours of filing sanding and polishing I had my very first BP revolver. Pretty little thing done all up in a brass frame. I was hooked. Next was the Remington 1858 Army this time in a steel frame. Both were fun, each had its advantages and disadvantages. I won't go into that here as its like say whats better, Chevy or Ford. To each their own. Life happened and those little "toys" of mine were gone. This brings me to the title of the post.

Today I was finally able to get to an outdoor range and test out the Traditions 1851 Navy .44 steel frame revolver. The revolver arrived a few weeks ago and since then I have been gather the required supplies. With gun, powder, measures and tools I head off to the range.

The gun its self arrived in a rather cheap cardboard box with a Styrofoam insert, wrapped up in plastic with the factory oil plainly visible through the plastic almost dripping wet. Well needless to say, it was going to need a very detailed cleaning. All the screws on this gun were WAY tight and took a bit of effort to break free. I'm convince that there is a huge guy named Bruno n the factory that just wrenched everything on as tight as he can get it. This was very true of the nipples on the cylinder. After breaking a nipple wrench trying to get them loose, I had to resort to an application of mild heat by placing the part in the oven and then working on it to get them broke free.

The last struggle was the wedge. Again I'm pretty sure that Bruno beat this into iron as well. To break this free I went from a soft pine dowel, bamboo dowel, soft plastic mallet, to a hard rubber mallet. With frustration mounting I gave the wedge a solid hit with the rubber mallet and finally it broke free.

The gun now all in parts got the well deserved cleaning and all the factory packing oils removed. After checking for misaligned parts and anything that rubbed the wrong way I have to say, I was impressed. All the parts fit very well together. There were no high spots on the cylinder lock, trigger spring or the trigger its self. The timing was dead on and everything looked great.

At the range it was a pretty straight forward affair. Its a steel frame but nonetheless no need to over do it. I used 22 grains Pyrodex P, covered by felt patch and a .451 ball. To be honest I was not expecting the .451 to be large enough to get that nice shaved ring of lead but it seems to have worked out well. Finding a .454 ball has been difficult locally. I'll probably have to resort to the internet to get them. Then I capped everything with Remington #10 caps. The moment arrived.

Trigger pull was lighter than I remembered but that's not a bad thing either. The hammer fell and I was basked in that old familiar blue white smoke. I Missed that. at the 3rd shot it got bound by the fired caps dropping between the cylinder and frame. This happened with the remaining caps as well. I blame this on the caps and not the gun. Never used Remington caps before and after reading about them, wont use them again either.

Loaded up again, shot another 6 rounds and it was a full complete win. This gun and I are going to be fast friends for a long time to come. I cant wait till i finish off the Traditions Kentucky long rifle build i have going. I'll be sure to share on how that project progresses.

Hey . . . it's a 1851 Navy . . . what's not to like? :D

Welcome to the forum . . . lot's of good folks here!

And enjoy that Navy . . . one of the best designed pistols ever made . . . but then me and Billy Hickok are kind of prejudiced! :):rolleyes:

Pretty sure all "Navy" models were .36,

What I have heard, however, is that most/all of the modern reproductions are built on .44 frames, they are simply bored to .44 or .36.

Period .36 guns were a different (smaller) frame.

Steve

For RickB The 1861 Navy I spoke of was a Connecticut Valley Arms (CVA) reproduction kit. As a young man just getting out of the Navy I saw this kit in the Navy Exchange and it caught my eye. It was a kit, CHEAP if i recall about $89 and mostly brass which was the eye candy factor. To be honest at that time i had no idea about the history of the Colt or any other firearm from that period. I just looked cool and it was going to give me something constructive to do when I got back home. It fulfilled all of that.

Taking that to the range and having folks want to look at the finished gun, many had never seen a BP gun. That first kit gun introduced me to new people outside the the military, introduced me to my very first foray into the smithy world and regardless of what ever else was going on, I could always look at that piece with pride knowing that I made it look like that.

Yeah I know now that its not an accurate reproduction but knowing that doesn't negate any of the experiences. It was fun then and its still just as much fun now and for me, that's the most important factor, history aside.

Fair winds and following seas
Pete

I thought the 1860 Army model was a technological advance because it used the same frame size as the 1851 Navy.

It did indeed use the same frame but it was rebated to accept the .44 cylinder which was also rebated to use the same action parts as the 51. The original police models were on a smaller frame with a rebated .36 cylinder but Pietta uses the 51 frame for theirs with the straight .36 cylinder. All original navies were .36 caliber and no Colt came with brass frames.

"I blame this on the caps and not the gun."

No, it is the factory nipples. Do yourself a favor and order either Treso or SlixShot nipples and cap jams will be a thing of the past.

Back